Win10 VM stuck on blank screen after crash

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Vale46

Win10 VM stuck on blank screen after crash

Post by Vale46 »

Hello - running Win10 VM on Mac OS X El Cap with VB Version 5.1.2.r108956

When shutting down Win10 last night, it downloaded/installed latest Windows update and machine powered off normally. This morning upon restarting VM, Win10 finished installing/configuring the Windows update and windows 10 booted up. Next the VM crashed/shut down. Now when I try to start VM in normal mode, after the VirtualBox welcome screen, the screen is blank with a blinking cursor.

When trying to shutdown VM using ACPI power shutdown which returns the following message: "This is not possible because the guest does not support software shutdown"

I looked through VB log files (see attachment) but (to the best of my knowledge) don't see anything stand out.

Been searching this forum and the net for anything related to Windows 10 update, but no luck yet.

Greatly appreciate any help on this.

rgds,
Ash
Attachments
Logs.zip
(120.12 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Vale46

Re: Win10 VM stuck on blank screen after crash

Post by Vale46 »

Since my issue started after Windows installed updates, wondering if issue is related to drivers that Win 10 may have installed during the update?

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I see nothing interesting in the log. In particular, the VM doesn't crash, the guest powers itself off. Perhaps you should try a repair installation using the original ISO (after backing it up). Or, restore from a backup of the working VM.
Vale46

Post by Vale46 »

Hello mpack - many thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately I don't have a backup copy of the VM since I upgraded to Win10 recently. That leaves me trying to repair the installation from the original. Can you outline how I go about doing that?

rgds,
Ash
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That's a Windows support question, I can only give a limited response. To repair a Windows installation you boot from the original CD/DVD from which Windows was installed (in the case of a VM, you boot from your Win10 ISO, if you have one). The installer should recognize that the OS is already installed, and offer repair or reinstall options.

How this applies to an upgraded Win7 PC I have no idea. That's really a question for Microsoft.
Vale46

Post by Vale46 »

As soon as I posted my previous response I realized how to go about repairing the Win10 installation.

The hardest part is to find Win10 product key for my installation since the free upgrade period for Win10 recently expired. :D

Nonetheless, appreciate your thoughts.

rgds,
Ash
Vale46

Post by Vale46 »

Hello - I was able to repair the Win10 guest installation after booting up from the ISO. Many thanks to the moderators to help diagnose the log file.

Now, I have another issue with Win10 boot up which I'd like to help on.

When I boot the Win10 VM, it starts up cleanly (showing the new Win10 logo along with the spinning circle at startup) and then the screen goes blank (and all the disk/network activity at the bottom of VB window stops a few moments later). This happens every often enough to be a nuisance - every 2nd or 3rd time that I start the Win10 VM. The other times the VM will startup as desired with the Windows 10 "starting" message followed by the standard login screens. The times when the VM gets stuck at the blank screen, I typically use the "Reset VM" command to reboot Windows 10 again and most often than not, it will simply boot up just fine. To be clear, been having this issue ever since I upgraded my Win 7 VM to Win 10.
VB log file is attached.

Thanks again in advance.

rgds,
Ash
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

We like one issue per topic please. I suggest creating a new topic, copy and paste that last post there, then delete the content here.