boot fails with NS_ERROR_FAILURE on MacOS 10.11.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
rbbost88

boot fails with NS_ERROR_FAILURE on MacOS 10.11.6

Post by rbbost88 »

I am a longtime user of VB on my Macbook Pro. Currently running lastest Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Cap). Have run my Windows 7 desktop regularly for months (no snapshots used), updating VB whenever prompted (and the Extensions as well). Latest VBox 5.1.2 just started failing to boot *either* of my VMs (Win7, and a Win10 that I rarely use). Both fail with NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) and show Aborted status in the VBox Manager. I have tried restarting Mac OS X; reloading VBox (removing *.plist files); reloading previous 2 versions of VBox and their Extension Packs. Still no luck. Nothing obvious in the log file (to me, but I've never looked at them before); attached. Looking for suggestions - need a fix for client work. Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.log
(35.12 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: boot fails with NS_ERROR_FAILURE on MacOS 10.11.6

Post by socratis »

See if changing the preferences for the Audio Host Driver from "CoreAudio" to "Null Audio Driver" fixes it. You might have been bitten by bug 15659.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.