5.1.2 and Windows 10 guest - BSOD with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DualShock

5.1.2 and Windows 10 guest - BSOD with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Post by DualShock »

Hi,

Upgraded to 5.1.2 from 5.0.x on OS X 10.11.6. My Windows 10 VM suddenly started having various issues (guru meditations, crashing, etc.)

After many attempts, i was able to boot into safe mode to clean up the old guest additions, and install the 5.1.2 guest additions, but now I'm experiencing a BSOD with error code SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION before the Windows login screen comes up.

The log seems to indicate that the Hyper-V paravirtualization encountered an error. I had Hyper-V turned on in 5.0.x and it was working fine for me.

Error:
00:00:40.196406 GIM: HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition! P0=0x3b P1=0xc0000005 P2=0xfffff801c2214965 P3=0xffffd00021397dc0 P4=0x0

Log attached.

Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(23.63 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
DualShock

Re: 5.1.2 and Windows 10 guest - BSOD with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Post by DualShock »

Quick update:

It looks like my last guest additions install had not completed properly (system tray shows the guest additions icon, but add/remove programs does not show it listed), so I reinstalled the guest additions in safe mode.

I also turned off Hyper-V to see if that would help.

Now when I boot up the VM I get a guru meditation crash after logging in. The error message in the log is:

Guru Meditation -5300 (VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)

New log attached.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(105.47 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
NoboBears

Re: 5.1.2 and Windows 10 guest - BSOD with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Post by NoboBears »

Having same issue the last few days re: Guru Meditation -5300 (VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)

Was able to get Win10 semi-stable by pulling an old backup of the VM and did a recovery re-install on that. Upgraded to 5.1.4 and re-installed the VB tools.

Really random when crashes. Guessing some bug in the VB program itself. The VM can run for a while with no issue (ran today for about 1hr 42m before erroring out [brought up an admin command prompt]). Restarted, finished what I needed to do, and got the error while shutting down.

Luckily, I only need to use Windows once or twice a year, and am just invoking it once a month to do OS updates (otherwise, could get piled up with the updates, and that process runs real slooooow as it is with just 3-5 updates/month).