VBoxHeadless 100% CPU

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ckuebler

VBoxHeadless 100% CPU

Post by ckuebler »

I am working on a mac with El Captain. Running a vagrant environment inside of of VB. Whenever I stand up my vagrant environment including VirtualBox, VBoxHeadless uses 100% of my CPU. My laptop fan runs constantly. When I halt my vagrant everything goes back to normal. I've tried changing some setting in my VirtualBox. under system for Processor I changed my Execution Cap down to 40%. Also under Acceleration I unchecked Enable Nested Paging (I read that helped with some else). Neither option has helped so far. I am not sure what other information may help with the trouble shooting. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBoxHeadless 100% CPU

Post by socratis »

A couple of things:
  1. You didn't mention your host version exactly.
  2. You didn't mention your VirtualBox version.
  3. You didn't mention your guest.
  4. You didn't mention if this is happening if you run the VM normal ("headfull"?).
  5. Vagrant is not supported here, they have their own forums. If you are seeing this problem with VirtualBox on its own, please read: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ckuebler

Post by ckuebler »

1. Host Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.5
2. Virtual Box Version: 5.0.10 r104061
3. Guest: Ubuntu (I think this is what you're asking for)
4. When I run VB normal the CPU is around 4%, but I receive a permissions error which I am looking now.
5. I'm not sure what is causing the issue. I just added vagrant so you would have more information for trouble shooting.

Thanks again, sorry for the lack of information.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No problem. The only thing that lack of a proper problem description causes, is more questions, back and forth dialogs. Like now:
a) Ubuntu what version? and
b) Adding Vagrant to the mix is not helping, on the contrary, and finally
c) What exactly do you mean by permissions errors? Yes, I know you said you're looking into it, but, since you are, please include all the details, like does it appear on the host? The guest? Please include the exact error message(s).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ckuebler

Post by ckuebler »

a) Ubuntu version: 20160602.0.0
b) I understand vagrant is only complicating things, I am also working with them to help figure out this issue.
c) I receive 403 Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Thanks again,
Chris
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ckuebler wrote:I receive 403 Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Where do you get that? Host? Guest? At what point? It's time for a log:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start. NOT WITH VAGRANT. STANDALONE.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. Record the error message. EXACTLY. Post a screenshot if you have to.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not suspended, not paused. Shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
ckuebler

Post by ckuebler »

I took a screenshot shot of the error and saved the first Vbox.log.
Attachments
VB-log.zip
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. You have the 4.3.36_Ubuntu guest additions installed. a) wrong version, b) it's the fork version, not the VirtualBox official ones. I think that might be causing the high CPU usage.
  2. I distinctively remember telling you to completely shut down the VM before zipping the log. You didn't, did you? ;)
  3. That error has absolutely nothing to do with VirtualBox, or your VM. It's an Apache error. It's working correctly, not configured properly.
ckuebler

Post by ckuebler »

Thank you for the feedback. If this is the wrong version could you tell me some options that would work with VirtualBox.
I'm not the one setting this up but I can pass along the information and see if it works out.