Open Preferences (Command + ,) does not work and leads to VirtualBox quit.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
vboxmania

Open Preferences (Command + ,) does not work and leads to VirtualBox quit.

Post by vboxmania »

As the title describes, opening Preferences (Command + ,) does not work and leads to VirtualBox quit.

I am using the latest VirtualBox (including extension) and OS X version on iMac 5k.

Does anybody experience the same issue? Or only for me?

And if possible, how to generate a crash log for this problem?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Open Preferences (Command + ,) does not work and leads to VirtualBox quit.

Post by socratis »

vboxmania wrote:Does anybody experience the same issue? Or only for me?
It took me 1/2 hour searching the forums, because I definitely remember seeing this report recently. It turns out I was looking in the wrong section of the forums. I finally found it in the Beta forums: 5.1 - crash when opening Preferences on OS X.

As you'll see from the link, there is ticket #15617 open, just for this, so add your voice there. But please read the link, because it contains instructions about another question that you had:
vboxmania wrote:And if possible, how to generate a crash log for this problem?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vboxmania

Re: 5.1 - crash when opening Preferences on OS X

Post by vboxmania »

BTW, how to generate the log file?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Open Preferences (Command + ,) does not work and leads to VirtualBox quit.

Post by socratis »

I moved your question from the Beta forum where it won't get much attention, here. Plus it's not a VirtualBox Beta question really, it's "How do I use my Mac" question.

The crash report is generated by OSX. In order to view it (and other diagnostics) user the /Applications/Utilities/Console app. There under "~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports" you'll see the crashes. Or you can navigate to your filesystem to the folder "~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". Same thing actually.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.