5.1 Update gives me dual cursors in guest window

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Rodneyt

5.1 Update gives me dual cursors in guest window

Post by Rodneyt »

Running El Capitan, and I have just updated to 5.1. Now my Mac OS guest has two cursors in it. I did not notice this behavior in the past versions.
Anyone know how to correct this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 5.1 Update gives me dual cursors in guest window

Post by socratis »

Thank you for confirming. So far I was the only one complaining. But they're aware of it. Ticket #15610: Host cursor visible in guest, produces double cursors. The "good" thing is that you're on 10.11.x, while I'm on 10.9.5.

Please go to the ticket and add your information. Be specific about the host and the guests that you've seen it happening, i.e. don't say El Capitan host, say OSX 10.11.5. Don't say Mac guest, say OSX 10.8.3.

There is also a discussion about this on: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78510. You won't see the acknowledgement in the ticket, only in the discussion.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rodneyt

Post by Rodneyt »

Thanks for the reply. I added to both your ticket and to the other thread.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Gosh. Running VB 5.1.2 on OSX 10.11.6 - SL10.6.8 guest. Same twin cursors.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Lou, Rodney,
do you have other VMs that you can check this out? I think it affects the ones where the GAs are not available; Android, Windows in safe mode, OSes that you haven't installed the GAs yet. And it's kind of obvious where the guest cursor changes from the default pointer to something ... different.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I can check a bit later.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Windows 7 Safe Mode, same thing. Dueling Cursors.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Gracias señor!
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

welcome. :D
Rodneyt

Post by Rodneyt »

socratis wrote:Lou, Rodney,
do you have other VMs that you can check this out? I think it affects the ones where the GAs are not available; Android, Windows in safe mode, OSes that you haven't installed the GAs yet. And it's kind of obvious where the guest cursor changes from the default pointer to something ... different.
I have a Windows 10 VM, and this doesn't happen. GA is installed, so you could be on to something.

-Rodney
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@rodneyt
I bet you that it will happen if you boot Win10 in safe mode. Just for kicks, give it a try...

PS. You made me think of one thing: how does one boot in safe mode in Win10. Well, I never tried it and it turns out the the good old F8 during boot doesn't work. For the solution: Microsoft's answer and another article that contains the explanation why F8 doesn't work anymore. (Hint: booting in ultra-fast :o ).
Rodneyt

Post by Rodneyt »

Logging into Windows 10 Safe Mode, it's not the same behavior. I can tell I have two cursors, with one slightly trailing the other, but the cursors continue to line up whenever I stop the mouse, as opposed in the Mac Guest where they only line up in the center of the window.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Rodneyt wrote:I can tell I have two cursors, with one slightly trailing the other
Try to go to a text-input control. The guest cursor changes to the i-beam, while the host cursor remains as the well known arrow. As for the OSX guests, there is a 1.2 mouse scaling factor for all OSX clients up to 10.9. OSX 10.10, .11 and .12 do not show that behavior.
Rodneyt

Post by Rodneyt »

I replaced 5.1 with 5.0.26, as the dual cursors were too much of a pain.
I'll check here periodically and see if this bug ever gets fixed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You shouldn't have to watch this topic periodically, you could enable the "Subscribe topic" to the bottom left of the page.