unable to install "snow leopard" in "el capitán"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DJ Rocari

unable to install "snow leopard" in "el capitán"

Post by DJ Rocari »

hello from mexico city, excuse my english...

Dj Software Torq 2.0 from m-audio, which i love, was discontinued years ago and only runs on "snow leopard" but I read that if I install VirtualBox on my Macbook Pro Retina running "el capitán 10.11.5" I could install "snow leopard" and therefore install and run "Torq"... but I have had no success and I have tried for days.

what have I done?

1- downloaded an image (.dmg) file “snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg” of Snow Leopard of 6.59 GB.
2- made a 8 GB usb flash bootable using "disc utility" and "restoring" using “snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg”. It is interesting that when I formatted my flash I renamed it to “USB Snow Leopard” but my Mac renamed immediately to “Mac OS X Install DVD”
3- made a partition called “snow leopard vhd” of 25 GB on my Mac Pro Retina's HD in order to put later on the VirtualBox Virtual Hard Drive
4. Install and open VirtualBox
5- create a virtual machine by choosing the right settings: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard 64 bit, RAM memory (default), creation of a virtualbox disk image, creation of a dinamic physical HD of 20 GB created inside of my 25 GB Mac partition or "snow leopard vhd". File name created “/Volumes/snow leopard vhd/snow leopard.vdi”
6- initiate the machine
7- using the little folder, browse and "TRY" to chose the application "Install Mac OS X" inside of the usb flash which installs snow Leopard…

…and I say "TRY" becasue it is here where problems start...

the application "Install Mac OS X" inside the bootable usb flash to install Snow Leopard It cannot be chosen, the icon or name of the application is crossed out, blocked. I cannot show you the pic because the forum does not let me since I am new. Only when I choose, at the bottom of the finder window, "all files" then it lets me chose the application even crossed out but then another error pups up. When I can upload the pics you will understand better.

what am I doing wrong? thx so much 4 the help :) cheers from mexico city
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: unable to install "snow leopard" in "el capitán"

Post by socratis »

DJ Rocari wrote:1- downloaded an image (.dmg) file “snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg” of Snow Leopard of 6.59 GB.
Unfortunately, due to the policy of the forum, we cannot help you with non-legally owned software, i.e. torrents, non-official downloads, etc. Please come back with the same questions when you have purchased a legal copy of Snow Leopard and we'd be more than happy to help you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.