Multiple Monitors on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mschumacker

Re: Multiple Monitors on Windows 10

Post by mschumacker »

Downloading that VM now, but its going to take a bit today.

Did notice that on my guest, the Guest Additions system tray icon doesn't appear. I manually went into the install directory and launch vboxtray.exe. Once I did that, the View -> Virtual Screen 1 sub menu items became enabled...however, clicking on them didn't do anything.

Thought that was interesting through.

Again, I appreciate the help
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OK, it works out of the box. Unfortunately, they had the GAs installed already (I hoped they wouldn't) so I can't test if this feature requires the GAs or not. When I have some time, I will try to setup another guest and see what happens.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mschumacker

Post by mschumacker »

Ok...again, thanks for the help.

Downloaded that VM..and still no ability to get the resizing of resolution working. Didn't even get to try multiple monitors.

I also just created a brand new VM, installed a fresh copy of Win10 Pro, and no dice. It looked promising as after I log in to the VM, the View -> Virtual Screen 1 sub menu items are all enabled, but selecting them does nothing. Also tried to manually resize the screen, but all that happens is I get a windowed VM in the middle.

I did try out Parallels which I can actually get multiple monitors in full screen mode. Would love to get this same thing working in VirtualBox as its free, and I like the windowed look also since I toggle back and forth from host to guest quite a lot.

This is just crazy.
mschumacker

Post by mschumacker »

Even better...just tried two monitors and they both worked. The only problem, I can't resize either. The first one I can pick between 800x600, or 1024x768, but the second one only allows 640x480.

I can copy and paste, so GA is installed.

I also tried to set the CustomVideoMode1 to 1900x1000x32, but that had no effect.

Just crazy.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Please stop obsessing with the View Menu. Deal with your guest directly.
2. You say GAs are installed. I didn't see any evidence. See Minimum information needed for assistance.
3. If it didn't work with the stock VM, you have some problem, or you're not holding it right. See 1.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.