Problems with Menu Bar / Guest Additions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Uli2001

Problems with Menu Bar / Guest Additions

Post by Uli2001 »

New user here. I have VirtualBox 5.0.22 r108108 and I have installed an Ubuntu 16.04 amd64 virtual machine on my Macbook running Mac OS 10.10.5.

Ubuntu runs well and I have been very impressed with VirtualBox so far. But I have a couple of puzzling issues that I can't seem to shake, no matter how many forums I have read.

1. I have no menu bar in the VM window. I have cancelled scale mode, full-screen mode. I tried pressing Host Key (Command-Left) + HOME, but I just can't find the HOME key on my Macbook keyboard. I have tried different things but it doesn't work. Perhaps I have selected the wrong keyboard map?

2. Guest additions: I found a way around the absent menu to try to install guest additions. I redefined Host Key + D to open the "Insert Guest Additions..." menu option directly. The problem is that I get an error message: Could not mount the media/drive '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks.
knarf

Re: Problems with Menu Bar / Guest Additions

Post by knarf »

try copy the iso to an other place then try insert as a cd drive
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Do not copy the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file outside of its proper folder.

On the menu bar I don't have an immediate answer. The menu bar should be present, if it hasn't been disabled using the command line.

On the ISO, the usual reason you can't insert the GAs ISO is because it's already inserted. You could post a VM log file and then we could be sure.

To post a VM log file: With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Uli2001

Post by Uli2001 »

Thanks mpack and knarf. The problem is solved. On the guest additions disk, I am not really sure what happened, but suddenly it became mounted and available. On the menu bar, the answer is a bit embarrassing but still relevant, I think. The menu bar is accessible though the host screen (the usual Mac OS menu bar at the top of the screen). I was misled by some forum posts I read to believe that the menu bar would appear at the top of the screen of the guest (some posts even said it was interfering with their guest menus). I am not sure if this was a change made in a recent release of VirtualBox, my guess is that it was.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Uli2001 wrote:I am not sure if this was a change made in a recent release of VirtualBox, my guess is that it was.
No, it was not. Most probably the posts that you read were referring to running a full-screen guest in which case the host's menu bar is not visible, but accessible via other means.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Uli2001

Post by Uli2001 »

socratis wrote:
Uli2001 wrote:I am not sure if this was a change made in a recent release of VirtualBox, my guess is that it was.
No, it was not. Most probably the posts that you read were referring to running a full-screen guest in which case the host's menu bar is not visible, but accessible via other means.
The confusion might also have been due to reading posts from Windows host users, for which the menu would appear at the top of the guest window. Thanks for the feedback.