Text from Microsoft One Note app pastes as image

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
sfogel

Text from Microsoft One Note app pastes as image

Post by sfogel »

Hi, all...I'm running Microsoft One Note in my Windows 7 guest OS on a Mac host. If I copy text from anywhere in One Note and try to paste it into an app on my Mac, the text is pasted as an image. This does not happen with other apps on the Windows 7 guest OS, and all other apps on Window and Mac seem to share the clipboard without trouble. Any ideas? Thanks.

Steve
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Text from Microsoft One Note app pastes as image

Post by socratis »

The "clipboard" has many ways of Copying/Pasting (from now on C/P). Since you're on a Mac, if you install the Developer Tools, there is an app called "Clipboard Viewer". There you can see that a simple C/P is nothing but simple. There are many ways to skin a cat.

For example, if you C/P from an Office app to another Office app, they will try to preserve the fonts and the rest of the formatting. You actually get a menu option to choose the format that you want to paste it (simple text, preserve format, apply format). This is not preserved if you C/P to Notepad, TextEdit or anything that does not understand formatting.

In your case (to cut to the chase) the text copied is most probably RTF. That's why it is pasted as an image. You're lucky that you can paste at all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Text from Microsoft One Note app pastes as image

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, it seems to be because of the nature of One Note. When selecting text in One Note, it copies the text box itself and not just the text. If you Share the note via mail, it arrives as text.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.