Version 5.0.22 r108108 continually locks up

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DevFingers
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, CentOS, Windows95 (jk)

Version 5.0.22 r108108 continually locks up

Post by DevFingers »

I've used VBox for about 5 years now, but I feel like I'm using it wrong. Anytime I upgrade to the latest version, the upgrade is fast, but it takes me about 10 or 15 times to get the vbox windows additions to actually install. Most attempts, the host hangs, resets, or the guest just craps out completely.

I've never once in the last 3 or 4 years had an upgrade that was smooth, where, what, I'm trying to imagine that a successful install might be like:
1. install new version
2. start up the host (OSX 10.11.4)
3. start the guest (Win 10), and log in
3. start the vboxwindowsadditions.exe, and install (it removes old version of vbwa, then installed new)
4. ask to reboot
5. success.

Is that's what supposed to happen?

I'm guessing that everyone else is having this experience?

How do you do that?

1. I Start VBox and it tells me I have a new VBox version waiting. Cool! (Like the Sirens of Ulysses, It always lulls me to click on it - heck it's like a big red button that says "DON"T CLICK ME!"... so... of course I'm going to click it!)
2. I download the new version.
3. I install, and start up the host
4. I start the guest OS, login, and try to uninstall the existing vbox windows additions (If I don't, the new version reports install error, or just hangs, in every upgrade I've done for the last 3 years.
5. So, reset the Guest OS
6. start up Guest OS again.
7. try to uninstall old version of vbox windows additions. Hangs guest OS
8. force shutdown of guest OS
9. restart Guest OS and it hangs or some other stupid result
10 shutdown Mac Book (or any other myriad attempts to start VirtualBox host fresh)
11 finally start up Host - start Guest OS, try to uninstall - host resets - just crashes totally and poof it's gone!
12 stop and start virtualbox, login, try to uninstall VB guess additions manually... this time it seems to uninstall!
13 now I could try to install the additions here, or need to restart the guest several times, and manually uninstall several times..
14 Then for some magic reason, at some point, the install works, then you have to reboot the host, and you can log in.

15 - except now in version 5.0.22, after about 3 minutes of using the host in two monitor mode, it just freezes.
16 Restart host - 3 or 4 minutes - host freezes.
17 Rinse and repeat.

Yes you have to read all steps; you're not allowed to skip ANY so you appropriately feel my pain..

Ok.

Now how do I install this thing properly so that it works as everyone else obviously uses it?

There must be someone who installed this software in OSX 10.11.4 without issue.
Please report in.

I am sooooo frustrated with this software. but golly, I need to use it...I do. Help :?

host log added
Attachments
OSX Host Log for Win10-2016-06-23.log
Host log
(109.58 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
DevFingers

Re: Version 5.0.22 r108108 continually locks up

Post by DevFingers »

So, I guess that all the reboots and lock-ups are actually the norm. Ok, well, that's new to me. I never thought of that as normal, but it's a crazy new world where shitty install applications/processes are cool and in vogue. Never in my life, installing/uninstalling/upgrading thousands of apps, have I come across such a poor implementation of upgrading software. But it's free, and here, free means "I don't care what you have to deal with because you should be greatly honoured to use my software". Ok! I'm greatly honoured and impressed by the quality. But it's just a bit tiring sometimes. Cool gets boring fast.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

You have assigned all four cores of your CPU to the guest, the host has then nothing left to handle the VM at the same time.
Please try again with just two or three virtual CPUs for the guest.
DevFingers

Post by DevFingers »

I have had 1 CPU assigned and still have the same upgrade experience. I turned off all acceleration, and get the same result. I use just one monitor, or any minimal setting, and still get the same upgrade experience. The issue is with the vboxwindowsadditions uninstall / upgrade process. THe best experience I can muster is to uninstall the guest additions prior to any upgrade. It still messes up, but at least there's only a few resets and crap-outs.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

This thread is probably relevant. The keywords are "5.0.22", "Windows 10", and "3D".
DevFingers

Post by DevFingers »

Gods of VirtualBox; a serious question...

There are many clients and host OS configurations.
There are many options to select from, with that matrix.

Is there any automated testing going on? Is that just not a 'thing' for virtualbox distros?

Automated testing would take such a burden off your efforts. I'm sure you have enough to do in creating new features, understanding new OS, or changes in existing ones, etc etc.

It would take some effort to get it going, yes, but I would suggest not shipping anymore until this is in place. You just don't have a product without it.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

DevFingers wrote:It would take some effort to get it going, yes, but I would suggest not shipping anymore until this is in place. You just don't have a product without it.
Your suggestions are noted.