error "verr vd vmdk invalid header"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: error "verr vd vmdk invalid header"

Post by Perryg »

One last thing. Stay with the default VDI format. If you need to transfer it to a different hypervisor then export it.
KIMW
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by KIMW »

That's right! As I said earlier during installation, when hard disk file type option was asked I didn't use VDI but the 2sd choice which was VMDK. So I shouldn't have done that!?
Is it why I had that problem you think?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Don't know but you are better off staying with what the program uses by default.

Also once you have switched to Linux close this thread and start a new one if you need help in the appropriate section.
KIMW

Post by KIMW »

Thanks.
I didn't choose VDI first because the tutorial I watched on Youtube was saying VMDK is better in case someone wants to switch to Vmware after...
Anyway, do you have any video tutorial on Youtube which explain how to install it properly?
Also if I want to create backups can it be done automatically?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I don't use or know of any tutorials. Just use what VirtualBox suggests for almost everything with the exception of the drive size, memory, and perhaps the number of processors.

VirtualBox does not provide any mechanism for backups ( snapshots are not backups ) Use the suggested way to move a guest as it is the same ( safest ) way to backup the guest as well.
How to move guests created with => version 4.*
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

KIMW wrote:I didn't choose VDI first because the tutorial I watched on Youtube was saying VMDK is better in case someone wants to switch to Vmware after...
Which is utter BS.

Having the VirtualBox VM use VMDK does not help you port the VM to VMWare. That notion is based on the frankly ignorant assumption that just because the container format is VMDK then it must be compatible. In fact some of the most important parts which define a VM are in the settings files, which are not portable to VMWare, plus the VM recipe and the contents of the disk (including drivers for virtual hardware, and Guest Additions), are not compatible with VMWare.

If you want to port a VirtualBox VM to VMWare then the proper way to do it is using the OVA export feature (File|Export...), and if you do that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what disk format the VBox VM uses.

As Perry says, you should stick to defaults until you have the experience to know when you can deviate.
KIMW

Post by KIMW »

I understand, thank you very much for your help!