Multiple virtual monitors and OS X spaces

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
gmarch

Multiple virtual monitors and OS X spaces

Post by gmarch »

I run a Windows 7 guest, and I need to have two "virtual" monitors in the guest (I use it to RDP into a physical box with two physical monitors).

If I run VBox with a monitor count of 2, and do not run it in full screen (i.e., I'm running it in windowed mode), I can see the two virtual screens and it works as expected. However, if I switch to full screen mode, the first monitor is put into a new space, but the second monitor is no longer visible.

Ideally, I'd like to have both virtual screens show up in their own space on the host.

Is this possible?
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Multiple virtual monitors and OS X spaces

Post by ChipMcK »

gmarch

Post by gmarch »

Yup, good background data, but it doesn't address the question... Specifically, how can you have two VB virtual monitors (shown as two windows in non-fullscreen mode) expand to two separate Spaces when full screen?
gmarch

Post by gmarch »

bump
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Host: MBP 1920x1200 with an external Apple Studio Display (ASD), 1280x1024. I know it's old, but it works ;)
HostOS: 10.9.5 with the latest iTunes (it's the only thing that gets updated these days)
VirtualBox: 5.0.24
Guest: Win 7 SP1 with the (almost) latest updates. Guest Additions at 5.0.16 with the WDDM option. VRAM allocated 256MB. 2D, 3D enabled.

It worked right out of the box. I didn't ask it for anything special. I don't even do 2 monitors. And I'm typing this on the MBP (obviously) while i have the 2nd VM display on my Apple Studio. I'm not trying to make you jealous, I'm saying there seems to be nothing fundamentally wrong with VirtualBox. So, something in your setup ain't right.

The only thing that I can check from over here is your .vbox file, where there may be some misconfiguration. First, start by stating your full details (see proper reporting example above). Then:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager.
  2. Select "Show in Finder".
  3. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gmarch

Post by gmarch »

socratis wrote:Host: MBP 1920x1200 with an external Apple Studio Display (ASD), 1280x1024. I know it's old, but it works ;)
HostOS: 10.9.5 with the latest iTunes (it's the only thing that gets updated these days)
VirtualBox: 5.0.24
Guest: Win 7 SP1 with the (almost) latest updates. Guest Additions at 5.0.16 with the WDDM option. VRAM allocated 256MB. 2D, 3D enabled.

It worked right out of the box. I didn't ask it for anything special. I don't even do 2 monitors. And I'm typing this on the MBP (obviously) while i have the 2nd VM display on my Apple Studio. I'm not trying to make you jealous, I'm saying there seems to be nothing fundamentally wrong with VirtualBox. So, something in your setup ain't right.

The only thing that I can check from over here is your .vbox file, where there may be some misconfiguration. First, start by stating your full details (see proper reporting example above). Then:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager.
  2. Select "Show in Finder".
  3. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
That's not my use case. I want two virtual windows in OS X. This works as long as I don't go full screen. I can even put them in different spaces. However when I go full screen, only one virtual monitor is visible (in it's own space). The second gets hidden (although both vbox and Windows says it's still there).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Now I get it. So, let's see now...
If you have two Safari windows and you go full screen, do they both go in their own space or just one? Try it and let me know if that's what you expected (hint: they won't). That's just how things are. It's not a VirtualBox "limitation". It's OSX.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gmarch

Post by gmarch »

socratis wrote:Now I get it. So, let's see now...
If you have two Safari windows and you go full screen, do they both go in their own space or just one? Try it and let me know if that's what you expected (hint: they won't). That's just how things are. It's not a VirtualBox "limitation". It's OSX.
Well, now that you put it that way, I think you are right. OK - I'll go hunting for OS X solutions... Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

gmarch wrote:I'll go hunting for OS X solutions
If you do find one, please let us know. I mean, I could see it's usefulness. What you're looking for is a solution that when one application's window is maximized to get it own space, the rest of the application's windows get their own space too.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, I did a quick test and there is a workaround. Maximize Display1 to its own space. Switch to the space that holds the original VM. Maximize Display2 to its own space. Now each Display has its own space. Not sure if that could work for you.
gmarch

Post by gmarch »

socratis wrote:OK, I did a quick test and there is a workaround. Maximize Display1 to its own space. Switch to the space that holds the original VM. Maximize Display2 to its own space. Now each Display has its own space. Not sure if that could work for you.
I tried that - when I full screen the first virtual monitor, the second virtual monitor is hidden. Can't find it anywhere. :-(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, let's say you're in "Desktop 1" when you start the VM. You see two windows; main and secondary.
Now, you go full screen and the main window gets its own space: "VirtualBox VM".
If you switch back to "Desktop 1", your secondary virtual display is hidden?