Horizontal scrolling in VM broken after upgrade to VB 5.0.20

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
EricBrunel
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XUbuntu 12.10, Windows Vista, Fedora Core 4

Horizontal scrolling in VM broken after upgrade to VB 5.0.20

Post by EricBrunel »

Hello all,

I just upgraded my VB to the latest version (5.0.20). Everything seems to work fine, except one little thing: I have an Apple Magic Mouse that allows to scroll horizontally and vertically, and it used to work in Linux VMs. It doesn't seem to anymore: I just launched my elementaryOS 0.3.2 VM (64 bits), and the horizontal scrolling no more works. I tested with several applications and it's the same everywhere. I did rebuilt the guest additions, so I should be up to date for everything. The vertical scrolling works fine.
I'm using VB on an iMac with OS-X Mavericks (10.9.5).
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Horizontal scrolling in VM broken after upgrade to VB 5.0.20

Post by socratis »

Horizontal scrolling is not a universal gesture. It is not supported by OSes in general. You're used to OSX which has had it for years and years, but the rest of them do not use it too much.

Did your guest supported it at some point? If so, make sure that the settings in the USB mouse page have not changed (PS/2, USB mouse/tablet).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
EricBrunel

Post by EricBrunel »

socratis wrote:Horizontal scrolling is not a universal gesture. It is not supported by OSes in general. You're used to OSX which has had it for years and years, but the rest of them do not use it too much.

Did your guest supported it at some point? If so, make sure that the settings in the USB mouse page have not changed (PS/2, USB mouse/tablet).
As I said in my original post, yes, it used to work perfectly. On X11, the mouse wheel events are actually mapped to pseudo-clicks on 'virtual' buttons (4 & 5 for vertical scrolling, 6 & 7 for horizontal scrolling), and I'm pretty sure at least one application I'm using is handling these, since I wrote the code myself. :wink: And again, it used to work…
And I'm not sure what 'page' your talking about. Is it in the VM settings? If it is, I didn't change anything there, I just reused the VMs as they were when I was using VB v4.X… The settings in the guest OS haven't changed either.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

EricBrunel wrote:On X11
Can you clarify that? X11.org? 10.11.ElCapitan?
EricBrunel wrote:(4 & 5 for vertical scrolling, 6 & 7 for horizontal scrolling)
Do you actually see 6-7 buttons on your guest? You do realize that this can't be emulated, so "somehow" you're seeing them?

You seem to be a knowledgeable individual, and since you're writing your own code, can you please provide a log of failed mappings from host to guest? It might be of interest to the developers if something has "gone south".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
EricBrunel

Post by EricBrunel »

socratis wrote:Can you clarify that? X11.org? 10.11.ElCapitan?
Sorry for that: I meant in the guest OS, which is Linux, so it's X11.org.
socratis wrote:Do you actually see 6-7 buttons on your guest? You do realize that this can't be emulated, so "somehow" you're seeing them?
Not too sure I understand the question… As far as I can remember, the code handling the buttons 6 & 7 has been written in a VB Linux VM running on a Mac, but this was before VB v5.x. And at that time, horizontal scroll events generated from the Mac were mapped to button presses for pseudo-buttons 6 & 7, that I'm sure of: this is how I figured out that the horizontal scrolling could work on Linux, and how to handle it.
socratis wrote:You seem to be a knowledgeable individual, and since you're writing your own code, can you please provide a log of failed mappings from host to guest? It might be of interest to the developers if something has "gone south".
Not knowledgeable enough, I fear, I have no idea how to figure out that. All I can say is that everything seems to work fine, except the horizontal scrolling. I ran the xev utility in the guest OS which tells the X11 events it gets, and I can see the pseudo-mouse button events for buttons 4 & 5 - i.e the vertical scroll -, but when I scroll horizontally, I never see any event at all. I did see them with VB 4.x: I used xev to figure out which events I got when scrolling horizontally.

If there's any way I can help further, please tell me. I just need to know where to find the useful information.
kchan
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: FreeBSD, Windows

Post by kchan »

I'm having the same issue as well with VB 5.0.x except the host is Slackware Linux and guest FreeBSD. The horiz scroll used to generate buttons 6 & 7 on VB 4.x.x.

Not sure if they're the same issue but it shows that it might be a common piece of code that's got changed between 4.x and 5.0.