Rescue data?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mhansemann

Rescue data?

Post by mhansemann »

Hello,

I've been using VirtualBox for a while now. Recently, a hard reset on the VM seems to have corrupted the image, and I couldn't boot the guest OS any longer. I have then backed up the three vdi files that were associated with the machine (the 'normal' one and two differential ones) in hope of extracting their data.

Problem is, I've not yet figured out how to access the files they contain. I tried to restore the VM to an early point and then attach the old vdi, but VirtualBox refuses to do so, as both disks share the same UUID.

There is some important data on that image, and I'm wondering if there's a way to extract it from the vdi? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marcel
LenZig

Re: Rescue data?

Post by LenZig »

mhansemann wrote:Recently, a hard reset on the VM seems to have corrupted the image, and I couldn't boot the guest OS any longer. I have then backed up the three vdi files ...

... I tried to restore the VM to an early point and then attach the old vdi, but VirtualBox refuses to do so, as both disks share the same UUID.

...I'm wondering if there's a way to extract it from the vdi? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Marcel

I'm not sure if I just experienced the same thing but it sure sounds like it (I had to repair my disk & permissions... that serious an error and no matter what I did (restoring from Time Machine) I could not get the VM working again.

Since I had nothing critical on mine I decided to delete the VM & reinstall Windows in a new one. However it turns out when I went to create a new virtual machine I was able to select the virtual drive from my previous VM. All the info & operating system were still there, it was just the instance of the Virtual Machine that was corrupted. The new Virtual machine brought me right back to where I was before. Don't know if this will work for you but since you have backups, give it a try.

Hope this helps - fingers crossed for you.
Len