Trying to import a VM copied from Ubuntu -- am I hosed?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
kalibar

Trying to import a VM copied from Ubuntu -- am I hosed?

Post by kalibar »

Hey guys, I have a VM (of XP Pro, if it makes a difference) that I copied over from a VirtualBox OSE installation on Ubuntu 8.04 that is now long gone. I grabbed the entire .VirtualBox directory from Ubuntu before the hard disk it was on was flattened.

I don't know why I didn't think to do a more "proper" backup, I think I was just in a hurry and figured "hey, VirtualBox is on Ubuntu, VirtualBox is on OS X, I'll just restore it from my MacBook Pro and it'll be no problem!" I've got VirtualBox 1.6.2 loaded up on the Mac, and I copied the files from the .VirtualBox folder (rescued from my old Ubuntu installation) that looked like they belonged over into the Library/VirtualBox folder on OS X -- the .vdi and the folder in Machines. I even tried fiddling around and adding stuff to the VirtualBox.xml file to tell it to list the machine, but VirtualBox shows it as inaccessible.

Any idea how I can possibly get this going? I've got a few customer files that I stupidly left sitting inside that VM that it would be very nice to retrieve.

Thanks so much.
kalibar

Post by kalibar »

Guess I'm hosed. :(