Shared Memory in VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Cover_Black

Shared Memory in VM

Post by Cover_Black »

Hi,

i´m running windows 7 on my Macbook with Virtualbox. The Macbook has an graphic chip with 128 MB. I recently upgraded my RAM to 16 GB. My Macbook is now using some of that as graphic memory. In Virtualbox i can not assign more than 128 MB, graphic memory to my windows system.
Is there a way to tell Virtualbox to use some of the RAM as graphic memory or can i do that in Windows itself.

Thanks,
Civer_Black
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shared Memory in VM

Post by socratis »

Cover_Black wrote:Is there a way to tell Virtualbox to use some of the RAM as graphic memory
You are actually doing it. The VRAM that you assign to your guest (128MB as you said) is actually host's RAM, it's not your host's VRAM. The limit is what it is. You cannot go more than that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shared Memory in VM

Post by mpack »

Just to be clear: the amount of physical VRAM in your host is not relevant. VirtualBox never uses host VRAM in the guest, guest VRAM has always been simulated, using host OS RAM. It's just a coincidence if the host VRAM limit was similar to the one used by VirtualBox.