Mac Command-Tab to switch to Mac apps?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Laptop Academy

Mac Command-Tab to switch to Mac apps?

Post by Laptop Academy »

Hi

How can i configure a Windows vbox guest running on a Mac OS host, so that Mac CMD-TAB works?

On Mac, CMD-TAB switches between Mac application Windows. But it has no effect with vbox on Mac.

thx!
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Mac Command-Tab to switch to Mac apps?

Post by ChipMcK »

socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

What version of Windows are you using?
Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63567
By default the Left-Cmd is the "Host-key" in VirtualBox. If you change it to something like Right-Opt, the Left-Cmd acts as the Windows "Super" key and you can switch apps. Within your guest ONLY. You cannot easily switch between guest and host apps with a single key combination.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

A bit late, but for anyone picking up on this thread, the Keyboard Shortcut for switching directly from a VirtualBox VM to native Mac Apps is 'CMD', 'CMD+TAB' (i.e. it's a 'two-stage' shortcut). As the OP mentioned switching to a VirtualBox (VM) from a native Mac App is the standard 'CMD+TAB' shortcut.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

erdeslawe wrote:switching directly from a VirtualBox VM to native Mac Apps is 'CMD', 'CMD+TAB'
Actually make that 'HostKey', 'Cmd-Tab' and I agree 100% with you. It just so happens in your case that the 'HostKey' is mapped to 'Cmd' (which is the default BTW).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pallymdridge
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by pallymdridge »

socratis wrote:
erdeslawe wrote:switching directly from a VirtualBox VM to native Mac Apps is 'CMD', 'CMD+TAB'
Actually make that 'HostKey', 'Cmd-Tab' and I agree 100% with you. It just so happens in your case that the 'HostKey' is mapped to 'Cmd' (which is the default BTW).
This is a little off of this previous topic but close enough that I think it makes sense to ask it here.
I've been using virtualbox hosted on macOS for a few years now to get at some older windows programs. I've generally run VB in "seamless" mode but recently have had a problem with that and I'm not sure exactly what is causing it. The issue is that when a windows program (running in VB) is in focus, I can't simply click on a MacOS window behind it to switch. I find that i have to go to the dock and select the Mac app that I want to switch to. This is different from how VB has operated in the past. I used to be able to simply click on another window and that app would come into focus. I can't pinpoint when I started having this issue but I think it may have to do with an update to Sierra from either Mavericks or Yosemite. Is there an option in VB [that I can't find] that changes this functionality back or am I stuck?

thanks,
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

pallymdridge wrote:This is a little off of this previous topic but close enough that I think it makes sense to ask it here.
Actually I'm afraid it doesn't. This thread is dealing with keyboard shortcuts, you don't have such a problem, you have a mouse click problem. Not the same. Shortcuts still work. Did you try?
pallymdridge wrote: I can't pinpoint when I started having this issue but I think it may have to do with an update to Sierra from either Mavericks or Yosemite.
No, you started having the issue with VirtualBox 5.1.10. It's a reported, known issue. Ticket #16246: In seamless mode, mouse events do not reach host windows visible behind the VM. Add your setup in the bug if you want to be automatically notified if and when a change is made.
pallymdridge
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by pallymdridge »

Aha! I've got an answer!

btw, I apologize for drifting the thread. I thought it made sense since my searches on the forum were not revealing any posts closer to what I was experiencing. I suppose a new thread would have been in order. I will travel a different direction next time.