Does VB Run Mac OS 9 on a Mac OS Captain

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Batman29

Does VB Run Mac OS 9 on a Mac OS Captain

Post by Batman29 »

Hi:

I am very new to this forum and the concept of visualization.

I am hoping that the newest release of Virtual Box will allow me to run Mac OS 9.0.4 or Mac OS 9.2.1 on a Mac Pro Tower running Mac OS 11.4.4.

Googling this topic yielded results that VB could not do this, but all the results were from 2008 to 2012. I am hoping things have changed to allow this, even if it means creating a VB of Mac OS 10.4.11 and then running Classic on Tiger.

Are any of these options, or others, possible on Virtual Box?

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Does VB Run Mac OS 9 on a Mac OS Captain

Post by socratis »

No. No way. VirtualBox runs on Intel/AMD (x86) type processors. MacOS 9 runs on PowerPC type processors. Therefore, there is no way on earth that you're going to run MacOS 9 on VirtualBox.

But, you have an option. It's not easy to setup, but it is doable. It's called SheepShaver.
- General information: http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/
- Download page: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7360

All the information is in there. It's going to take you a day or so to figure it out. Don't expect any crazy performance. If you want to play games, I'm not sure it's going to work.

But anyway, this is not a VirtualBox issue anymore, so I'll stop here and let you try with the SheepShaver forums. Best of luck.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Batman29 wrote:I am hoping that the newest release of Virtual Box will allow me to run Mac OS 9.0.4 or Mac OS 9.2.1 on a Mac Pro Tower running Mac OS 11.4.4.
It will not, and there are no plans for emulating PowerPC.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:Don't expect any crazy performance. If you want to play games, I'm not sure it's going to work.
Actually I take that back after watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNUYKYrQbmg As you can see, they're using SheepShaver.

BTW, what do you want to achieve? There maybe other alternatives.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.