Latest VB disables MacMouse

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Marl
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Latest VB disables MacMouse

Post by Marl »

I still have VB 5.0.10 'cos both of the more recent versions disable my MacMouse. In fact 5.0.16 disables it completely so that I have to press the on/off button to close down my iMac and restart.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Latest VB disables MacMouse

Post by mpack »

Is it a USB mouse? You probably grabbed ownership of it using a USB filter. It's a common mistake.

USB is not designed to share devices between multiple masters. If the VM grabs the mouse then the host loses the use of it.

If you intended to grab some other device then add sufficient fields to the filter to identify the other device uniquely.

If my supposition is correct then nothing has changed in VirtualBox, and the fact that it ever worked the way you wanted was just luck.
Marl

Post by Marl »

No it's a MacMouse so it's connected with Bluetooth. It works fine with 5.0.10 but not with any of the recent 'upgrades'.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I think you'll find that BlueTooth connects to USB inside the Mac. Essentially what you have is a wireless USB mouse.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

You probably have a USB filter that grabs the Bluetooth controller on the host. Not recommended unless you know what you're doing.
Marl

VirtualBox 5.0.18

Post by Marl »

It is some time since Virtual Box releases have been compatible with the Mac OSX V10. I am still using VB 5.0.10 because it is the only one that doesn't disable my MacMouse. Perhaps one of these days you will get round to telling us when it is compatible. Meanwhile how do I disable the update reminder?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: VirtualBox 5.0.18

Post by loukingjr »

VirtualBox has been compatible with "Mac OSX V10" for quite a long time. I'm not familiar with the "MacMouse". Is that some third party mouse? Or do you mean the Magic Mouse? If so, "broke" how?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Marl

Post by Marl »

It's the standard wireless mouse for iMacs which I call a MacMouse!! It isn't broke; it just fails to connect on the newer versions although I see that there is now a V20.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

I bet this is yet another too-loose USB filter.
Marl

Apple mouse issue with VB

Post by Marl »

Since November 2015 I have been using VB 5.0.10 because, whenever I have installed a newer version, it has failed to work with the standard wireless Apple Mouse on my iMac.

The older version will not work with Mojave so I have had to install VB 5.2.20. The mouse still doesn't work with this version meaning that VB is useless and can only be closed by turning the power off on my iMac.

Does anyone know of a fix for this problem please?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Apple mouse issue with VB

Post by socratis »

Marl wrote:whenever I have installed a newer version, it has failed to work with the standard wireless Apple Mouse on my iMac.
You had two threads on this, one from 2016-03-10 (Latest VB disables MacMouse) and one from 2016-04-21 (VirtualBox 5.0.18), on the same issue, which I now merged. And now I'm going to merge this one as well. Two and a half years apart maybe, but they're duplicates none the less...

We need more information, that were never presented:
  • First of all, there's no "Bluetooth" in reality, everything is USB-based. You have a USB-to-Bluetooth adapter in your Mac. If you grab the USB-to-Bluetooth adapter, you're going to lose all Bluetooth communication, be it the mouse, the keyboard, your phone or your headless earpiece/microphone.
  • Does this happen when you launch VirtualBox Manager? Or you need to launch a VM? If you need to launch a VM, right-click on the VM, "Show in Finder". ZIP and attach that ".vbox" file.
  • I need to see the VBoxSVC.log from "/Users/<you>/Library/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log". ZIP it and attach it.
  • I need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
    • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
    • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
    • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Marl

Post by Marl »

The mouse works fine when I launch VM. It’s when I launch the application (Windows XP, needed to drive my old Fujitsu scanner) that it ceases to work.

I uploaded yesterday's VboxSvc.log from the library as a pdf, likewise the latest one from Library.

I don’t understand your last para. I don’t get an error log and I don’t understand your bit about shutting down or starting from a cold boot. VB is on the ‘Dock” at the bottom of the iMac (equivalent of Quick Bar in Windows) and also in the Applications file. Once the VM is closed it is, as I understand it, shut down. To open it I just double click the icon on the Dock.

Vbox.log in Vbox manager is attached called 'Colin's PC....' I hope this is the one you are looking for.

Thanks for your help. None of the previous replies I had were of any use.
Attachments
VBox_log.pdf.zip
(14.61 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Colin's PC-2018-10-31-16-24-11.log.zip
(16.35 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
VBoxSVC.log.zip
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Marl wrote:I uploaded yesterday's VboxSvc.log from the library as a pdf
I didn't ask for a PDF file, a ZIPPED text file is the best option, please don't try to PDF, or RTF, or DOC any text files next time...
Marl wrote: It’s when I launch the application (Windows XP, needed to drive my old Fujitsu scanner) that it ceases to work.
Well, that's a new one isn't it!?! :shock:

I'm not quite sure why you elected to withhold that piece of information for 2 1/2 years! You thought it wasn't important? Please, do not filter what you think is, or is not, important. Just lay out the facts and let the "police" decide what's important in the "murder", all right? ;)

I need to see the "recipe" of the VM, it's ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Marl wrote: I don’t get an error log and I don’t understand your bit about shutting down or starting from a cold boot.
If you read it once more, and you read the explanatory test in the parentheses, you'll get it. There's not a simpler explanation than that, that I could give you.

For example, you did NOT completely shut down the VM before taking the log, the log is incomplete. First you shut down the VM from withing the VM, then you ZIP the VBox.log.
Marl wrote:VB is on the ‘Dock” at the bottom of the iMac (equivalent of Quick Bar in Windows) and also in the Applications file.
I know, I'm on OSX as well... ;)
Marl wrote:Once the VM is closed it is, as I understand it, shut down.
No, it depends how you close it. If you Pause it, it's not shut down. If you close it from the top-left "close widget" of OSX, or by hitting Cmd+Q and select "Save State", it's not completely shut down. Only if you choose "Start" » "Shut down" from within WinXP it's completely shut down.
Marl wrote: To open it I just double click the icon on the Dock.
No, a single click is required, not a double one.
Marl wrote:None of the previous replies I had were of any use.
Oh, they were, as you'll prove yourself. They all talked about USB filters. You simply never replied...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Marl

Post by Marl »

May we start please with the fact that I am nearly 78 and am entirely self-taught so much of what you say is entirely new to me. So I would ask for your patience please.
I didn't ask for a PDF file, a ZIPPED text file is the best option, please don't try to PDF, or RTF, or DOC any text files next time…
Although you didn’t ask for a pdf file I had forgotten how to turn the log into a zipped text file.
I'm not quite sure why you elected to withhold that piece of information for 2 1/2 years! You thought it wasn't important? Please, do not filter what youthink is, or is not, important. Just lay out the facts and let the "police" decide what's important in the "murder", all right? 
I’m afraid I wasn’t aware of the relevance of this at the time and didn’t ‘elect’ as you put it to withhold it
I need to see the "recipe" of the VM, it's ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Where do I find the VM in the Virtual Box Manager? The only place I could find a vbox file in Virtual Box Manager was in Colin’s PC. I could send you a snapshot of what my screen looks when I open Vbox Manager if that would help.
For example, you did NOT completely shut down the VM before taking the log, the log is incomplete. First you shut down the VM from withing the VM, then you ZIP the Vbox.log.
I can’t shut down the VM from within it once I;ve started Colin’s PC because the mouse doesn’t work and there doesn’t seem to be any other way to shut it down.
No, it depends how you close it. If you Pause it, it's not shut down. If you close it from the top-left "close widget" of OSX, or by hitting Cmd+Q and select "Save State", it's not completely shut down. Only if you choose "Start" » "Shut down" from within WinXP it's completely shut down.
As explained above I can’t shut down from within WinXP because neither the mouse nor the keyboard work once Windows XP is started.
Oh, they were, as you'll prove yourself. They all talked about USB filters. You simply never replied…
That is because I don’t know what a USB filter is.
Last edited by socratis on 2. Nov 2018, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Marl wrote:May we start please with the fact that I am nearly 78 and am entirely self-taught so much of what you say is entirely new to me. So I would ask for your patience please.
Noted...
Marl wrote:Although you didn’t ask for a pdf file I had forgotten how to turn the log into a zipped text file.
Right-click on any file/folder from the Finder, select "Compress".
Marl wrote:I’m afraid I wasn’t aware of the relevance of this at the time and didn’t ‘elect’ as you put it to withhold it
OK, maybe not elect, but forgotten. In any event, there was a huge difference between a generic statement (as in, always lose mouse), vs. a specific statement (as in, I lose the mouse when I launch the VM).
Marl wrote:The only place I could find a vbox file in Virtual Box Manager was in Colin’s PC.
Right. When you launch the VirtualBox Manager, there's "Colin's PC" on the left. Right-click on that and select "Show in Finder". Then "Compress" that selected .vbox file and attach it.
Marl wrote:That is because I don’t know what a USB filter is.
Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager » Settings » Ports » USB. There's a list of filters there. Remove all of them. But do this after you've attached the ZIPPED/Compressed .vbox from the previous step.