Having trouble setting up OSX Snow Leopard on my El Capitan

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
nicozagi

Having trouble setting up OSX Snow Leopard on my El Capitan

Post by nicozagi »

Hi, see subject.

I'm running VirtualBox on Mac OS X El Capitan and I want to set up Mac OS 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard)
I'm stuck at "system uptime in nanoseconds" but I don't have an error.
My log: dropbox(dot)com/s/qskkjc1gtl56oho/log.png?dl=0

Thanks
-nicozagi
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Having trouble setting up OSX Snow Leopard on my El Capitan

Post by socratis »

nicozagi wrote:I'm stuck at "system uptime in nanoseconds" but I don't have an error.
Oh, yes, you do have an error. The worst of them all. A kernel panic.

Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance. As far as the "VBox.log.zip" goes, here's what you do:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start.
  2. Record the error message. EXACTLY. Post a screenshot if you have to.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not suspend, not pause. Shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager.
  5. Select "Show Log..."
  6. Save it, ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
On top of that, I'd like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager.
  2. Select "Show in Finder".
  3. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nicozagi

Post by nicozagi »

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Here is my log.

"The extension vbox is not allowed." So I'll have it here: dropbox(dot)com/s/edjaxa0ah729bv0/Snow%20Leopard.vbox?dl=0
Attachments
Snow Leopard-2016-04-09-12-18-11.log
(118.62 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

nicozagi wrote:Thank you for your detailed reply.
Apparently my detailed reply was not detailed enough when I said:
Save it, ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
Although I don't usually go to 3rd party sites, I'll take a look at your logs and let you know what I found...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.534789 Guest OS type: 'MacOS106'
This is 99.9% wrong. You're most probably installing the 64-bit version, not the 32-bit one. Change the template accordingly.
00:00:02.515557 Host RAM: 16384MB total, 3938MB available
00:00:02.718732   RamSize           <integer> = 0x0000000100000000 (4 294 967 296, 4 GB)
Memory over-commitment. You do not have 4 GB available that you'd like to give to your guest. Lower the memory assigned to 1,5 GB (1536MB) and close a couple of applications on your host.
00:00:02.718726   NumCPUs           <integer> = 0x0000000000000002 (2)
00:00:02.970391 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
You have 2 physical CPUs and you assign both of them to your guest. That's not a good idea. Lower the virtual CPUs assigned to you guest to 1.
00:00:02.781390 DMI: Using DmiSystemProduct from host: MacBookPro12,1
This looks like the 13', retina MacBookPro, early 2015, Intel i7-5557U 3.10GHz, that originally came with 10.10.2. Your CPU is too new for 10.6.7. Take a look at Status of OSX on OSX and see if one of the CPUID change commands might help you in order to mimic an older CPU.

Finally, one very, very important question. How did you get a hold of the 10.6.7 DVD? Please be honest about it...
nicozagi

Post by nicozagi »

Indeed I have to close applications. I was running low of memory. Thanks for your help so far. I will read more carefully next time too. I have to dig deeper into the CPUID thing as it is a very new territory for me.

I know the DVDs that are sold come with a 10.6.3 version so I don't want to lie. I got it in a not legal way but I do not feel of any guilt since I bought a copy back in 2009 for my MacBook 15 mid 2009 that came with Leopard originally. I do have a 10.6.3 version here but thought a newer one was better.
nicozagi

Post by nicozagi »

Since I'm still in possession of my MacBookPro5,4 I tried the setup on that one since its CPU must be compatible with 10.6. I also used my original 10.6.3 version of Snow Leopard.

"Still waiting for root device"

Log is attached and zipped.

-
I tried it on my new MacBook too, same message.
Attachments
log.log.zip
(21.13 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

nicozagi wrote:"Still waiting for root device"
Can you please answer some questions?
• How did you create the DMG that you're trying to boot from?
• Did you try to use the host's CD-ROM and have it pass through to the guest?

Oh, and BTW, not-guilty for 10.6.7. Your explanation was more than enough. At least for my conscience ;)
nicozagi

Post by nicozagi »

I created the dmg file using the Disk Utility tool. I've replaced my DVD drive with a HDD some time ago.
socratis wrote: • Did you try to use the host's CD-ROM and have it pass through to the guest?
I'm not sure what you mean with this, sorry.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

nicozagi wrote:
socratis wrote:Did you try to use the host's CD-ROM and have it pass through to the guest?
I've replaced my DVD drive with a HDD some time ago.
Your statement makes my question moot. That is, if you do not have a physical DVD anymore, you can't use my suggestion to try the physical DVD as a passthrough device.

The situation that you're in has come up in the past. Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64445 and see if there's anything there that can help you. Keep in mind that installing an OSX guest is not trivial. There's no real demand for it. If you're not a hacker (with the original meaning of the word), you'd better start getting used to the idea that you'll have to become one...