[INSTALL] Verifying "VirtualBox.pkg"... never clears -- El Cap 10.11.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
gnafse

Re: [INSTALL] Verifying "VirtualBox.pkg"... never clears -- El Cap 10.11.4

Post by gnafse »

I've had this problem before, and it has always been resolved by a reboot of OS X.

Typically, I reboot OS X only when I perform security upgrades, as I did today.

And voila, the same problem occurred again.

My guess is that socratis is on to something about Gatekeeper, and that there is something about credentials not being handled correctly immediately after a security upgrade.
Lewis Wright

Post by Lewis Wright »

I had the same issue, the instructions on this page: discussions.apple. com/thread/7260492?start=0&tstart=0 (sorry I'm a new member so I can't post proper links) fixed the issue for me:
OSX apparently needs to regenerate a fresh auth.db from /System/Library/Security/authorization.plist.

This can be triggered in terminal with the following command: sudo mv /var/db/auth.db /var/db/auth.db.old

After rebooting the system everything works as it should be.
Hope this helps!
fortfive
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows

Post by fortfive »

Having the same problem with 5.0.20.

Had successfully installed 5.0.16.

Console reports:

5/31/16 10:18:26.761 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[35473]: Error -60005 creating authorization
5/31/16 10:19:09.953 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000001e.Installer[35584]) Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9
5/31/16 10:19:20.651 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[35473]: Error -60005 creating authorization
5/31/16 10:19:57.905 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000001f.Installer[35591]) Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9

The 10:18:26 and 10:19:20 events report right after starting the installer. The other two report right after cancelling. Cmd-L produces an alert beep but no further response.

Nothing out of the ordinary in my setup, all other softwares functioning normally.
wende60

Post by wende60 »

socratis wrote: Do myself (and yourself) a favor. Buy a new hard drive.
Sounds what you usually hear first when you contact a technical support. Your advices are not really helpful. Most users even do not even know where to find the installer.logs.
Fact: the problem exist. Nothing happens here while the verifying runs on a new OSX.
Fact: sudo installer -package /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg -target / solves the problem. VB starts without problems

regards jo
wende60

Post by wende60 »

Code: Select all

sudo installer -package /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg -target /
[/quote]

Same problem here, thanks for the hint. Works perfect...

regards jo
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

wende60 wrote:
socratis wrote:Do myself (and yourself) a favor. Buy a new hard drive.
Sounds what you usually hear first when you contact a technical support. Your advices are not really helpful.
I'll take a wild guess here that you've never been in technical support (I may be wrong, but...). OK, fine, don't buy a new hard drive. Wipe your old one, install OSX and then VirtualBox. What do you think is going to happen? Take a guess...

My advises may not be helpful in your particular case, but, the fact of the matter is, I do not have a clue how exactly you've modified your system. And if you cared to read the thread from the beginning you'd seen that I've put a lot of hours into solving this OSX problem. So have the rest of the Mac users (not VirtualBox ones) that are facing similar issues due to the Gatekeeper in OSX. In a fresh install the problem does not exist.

Your workaround is just that. A workaround. You don't have the faintest idea what the source of the problem is, you're just using the nuclear option. And it's not even yours. Just signing up to criticize and say "me too". Fait accomplis.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wende60

Post by wende60 »

socratis wrote: Just signing up to criticize and say "me too".
You are wrong.
First i signed in to say 'thank you' to the guy with a quick solution, second to tell you, that this problem also occurs on a fresh OSX and not only as exception.

regards jo
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

wende60 wrote:this problem also occurs on a fresh OSX and not only as exception.
OK, I just re-tried it with a fresh installation of 10.11.0, which was later upgraded to the latest as of this writing, 10.11.5. No problem validating or installing VirtualBox (both 5.0.20 and 5.1.0b2). It just works. So, if you actually, really want to help, or for anyone else reading this, here's a thing we can try:
If you think/believe that your system is as clean as possible, yet if fails to validate the VirtualBox.pkg, open a Terminal and issue the commands (better to copy/paste them):
   sudo -s
   ls -alR / | awk '{printf "%-11s %8s %-12s %-12s %9s %-25s \n" $99, $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$9}' > All_ls.txt
(what it does is, it prints every single filename, permissions, size and owner, without the dates, so that I can compare it easier)

This is going to generate a really large text file. About 80MB large. Even ZIPped you can't upload it here (it's about 3.5MB in my case). So, please choose your favorite sharing site, upload it, post the link (public or via a PM) and I'm going to compare it with the freshest 10.11 installation possible and/or the latest and greatest.

There's got to be something in there that is different and we're going to get to the bottom of this!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
christopherbalz

Post by christopherbalz »

I got the same logs as the previous user posted at forums dot virtualbox dot org forward-slash viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77122#p359848 .

I am on Mac OS X 10.11.5 all-up-to-date.
joejoe19

Post by joejoe19 »

VBox wouldn't install so I went ahead and updated the O/S which of course forced a reboot but didn't fix my issue. After reading several of these posts I decided to perform a cold boot et viola!
hamx0r

Post by hamx0r »

I had the same problem on 10.11.5. I could open the DMG, but after following the instructions from the resulting window to doubleclick the VirtualBox.plg file, it just hung.

I got it to install simply by holding Option while double clicking.
Haravikk
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Haravikk »

pauln4 wrote:Also had the problem on 10.11.4. After mounting the package, was able to install it via:

Code: Select all

sudo installer -package /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg -target /
Exact same problem for me on 10.11.5, recently clean-installed, but the above command worked perfectly, thanks!

It's definitely not a file-system issue, as other installer packages work just fine (I only recently installed the Xcode Command Line tools the same way). The verification step is part of Gatekeeper to ensure an installer/program's signature is valid; if I had to guess some part of the installer must have permissions that are preventing Gatekeeper from verifying the whole package, though I'm not sure why that would cause it to get stuck rather than completing normally. The checksum verifies fine so it's clearly an issue with the installer package and not the download.

It's also definitely not System Integrity Protection, as Virtual Box's file-system kext can be installed under /Library/Extensions as normal (it's /System/Library/Extensions that is protected with SIP enabled), though SIP does require kexts to be signed, that would only prevent it from loading, not from being installed in the first place.

I also got the same CoreServicesUIAgent Error -60005 creating authorisation error in my log.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

I had the same problem with 5.0.22. Installation worked on a Mac Mini (10.11.5) but didn't work on a MBP (10.11.5) -- it was checking VirtualBox.pkg forever. Then I rebooted the MBP and after that fixed the problem for me.
ChrisJScott

Post by ChrisJScott »

Yup - I can verify that a root resolved the issue for me, as well.
SilentOne

Post by SilentOne »

Ran into this issue on my Mac Book, running "El Capitan 10.11.5",
virtual box version Version 5.0.22 r108108, previous version was 5.0.20.

Used the command line:

sudo installer -pkg /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg -target /Volumes/"XXXX"

replace "XXXX" by your system name, the default is "Machintosh"

Installer will complete. I had no problems before installing the package.