[INSTALL] Verifying "VirtualBox.pkg"... never clears -- El Cap 10.11.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
freef49

Re: [INSTALL] Verifying "VirtualBox.pkg"... never clears -- El Cap 10.11.4

Post by freef49 »

I just had the same issue and google pointed me here. The below worked for me.

Code: Select all

sudo installer -package /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg -target /
KressKress

Post by KressKress »

I'm having the exact same problem. Stuck infinitely on "Verifying "VirtualBox.pkg"..." I'm running El Capitan 10.11.3, but I guess you guys are saying that isn't part of the problem. My macbook pro is old (circa 2005), but I don't think it's been modified in any way. I don't have issues with other program installs.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

KressKress wrote:I guess you guys are saying that isn't part of the problem.
Since I've taken it up on me to investigate the gist of the problem, I didn't say that 10.11.x isn't part of the problem. It may very well be. The problem is that I haven't seen any evidence for, or against it.
KressKress wrote:My macbook pro is old (circa 2005), but I don't think it's been modified in any way.
I'm willing to bet against that statement, unless you've never, ever, entered your administrator password in the last 11 years. Did you do a fresh install of 10.11 wiping out everything that was there? If you upgraded, there are a lot of things that can go wrong not as expected. The variables are too many, that's what makes this a pain.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
richardcrossley

Post by richardcrossley »

A reboot worked for me. Before rebooting, I ensured no applications would be restarted afterwards.

El Capitan 10.11.4

Kindest Regards,

Richard.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, this is the fourth report that a reboot allows for an installation with no problems. Previous reports: For anyone that is facing that problem, please reply to the following:
  1. Did you try the install as a normal user or as an administrator (owner)?
  2. What did you use to download VirtualBox? Safari? Firefox? Chrome? Opera? Other?
  3. Did you try it after a reboot?
  4. Open up a Terminal and post the output of the command:
       ls -l@ <Full_path_to_Virtualbox_dmg_file>
We'll get to the bottom of this. Eventually...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
iaw4

Post by iaw4 »

GabeIsman wrote:Had the same problem. VirtualBox v5.0.20, OS X 10.11.4. The installer never properly opens, so no logs.

indeed. same problem here--stuck in verifying. and same solution:

sudo installer -package /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg -target /
worked for me.
&amp;Y

Post by &amp;Y »

I had same problem with VirtualBox 5.0.20 r106931 on El Capitan 10.11.4. Log Out from Mac and Log In solved my situation.
AndiH

Post by AndiH »

Had the same problem: VirtualBox-5.0.20-106931-OSX.dmg on OS X 10.11.4. After reboot everything worked. The dmg File was downloaded with Safari 9.1 (11601.5.17.1) and run with an user account which has admin rights.

-rw-r--r--@ 1 andi staff 89729897 28 Apr 15:35 VirtualBox-5.0.20-106931-OSX.dmg
com.apple.diskimages.fsck 20
com.apple.diskimages.recentcksum 81
com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate 53
com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms 128
com.apple.quarantine 61
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you AndiH for being the first to actually confirm my suspicions. For anyone coming here, please do the following:
  1. Open up a Terminal and look at the output of the command:
       ls -l@ <Full_path_to_Virtualbox_dmg_file>
  2. If you see anything in the output that contains the line:
       com.apple.quarantine
    issue the command:
       sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine <Full_path_to_Virtualbox_dmg_file>
  3. Launch the DMG. No need to reboot, logout or sacrifice a goat.
And I'm willing to bet that in almost all the cases you downloaded VirtualBox using Safari. Explanation will follow as soon as I get a second confirmation.
GreySalad

Post by GreySalad »

I was able to install using the the initial sudo command fix, but I read the rest of this thread and would feel bad if I didn't try to provide a log.

So I just followed Socratis' steps (After running the sudo - I still couldn't install using the .dmg of course.) I actually downloaded this through Chrome Version 50.0.2661.86 (64-bit)

Initial ls -l@:

com.apple.diskimages.fsck	      20 
	com.apple.diskimages.recentcksum	      80 
	com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms	     131 
	com.apple.quarantine	      64 
Ran sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine <Full_path_to_Virtualbox_dmg_file>

Second ls -l@:

com.apple.diskimages.fsck	      20 
	com.apple.diskimages.recentcksum	      80 
	com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms	     131  
I was still unable to install by just double clicking the installer.
TheBrawnyMan

Post by TheBrawnyMan »

Ran into this problem as well. followed to the end of the thread and followed Socratis suggestion to remove the quarantine attr from the DMG. I can confirm that this was downloaded using Safari. Removing the quarantine attr resolves the issue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@TheBrawnyMan, @GreySalad
Thank you both for trying to see the attributes of the file. It "feels" like something is going on with the extended attributes and GateKeeper.

@GreySalad
Unfortunately I didn't even think about Chrome, so I didn't try it. My bad. Would you mind trying something else?. Try each of the following commands, one at a time. See if and when the installer might get through. There maybe an additional attribute that prevents the verification.
   sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine <Full_path_to_Virtualbox_dmg_file>
   sudo xattr -d com.apple.diskimages.fsck <Full_path_to_Virtualbox_dmg_file>
   sudo xattr -d com.apple.diskimages.recentcksum <Full_path_to_Virtualbox_dmg_file>
   sudo xattr -d com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms <Full_path_to_Virtualbox_dmg_file>
GreySalad

Post by GreySalad »

Sorry for the late reply. I've actually removed all the attributes from the .dmg now, still the same result. Double-clicking the .pkg brings up the verification loading bar and it doesn't update.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@GreySalad
Thank you for testing this! On the other hand, I "hate" you for not supporting my theory :D
Damn, I thought I was on to something...
But, as I said time and time again, this is clearly an OSX issue with Gatekeeper. Just search for "mac stuck verifying" and you'll see what I mean. The problem is that no one has a solid answer so far. Thanks again.
MichaelMWelch

Post by MichaelMWelch »

Just for the benefit of anyone coming across this thread after Googling on the problem (as I just did), the above-mentioned solution of calling 'installer' from the command line worked for me also.