[INSTALL] Verifying "VirtualBox.pkg"... never clears -- El Cap 10.11.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Pervoliner

Re: [INSTALL] Verifying "VirtualBox.pkg"... never clears -- El Cap 10.11.4

Post by Pervoliner »

The same problem:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15, Mid 2014)
Mac OS X: 10.11.4
VirtualBox: VirtualBox-5.0.18-106667-OSX.dmg

Used the command to install:

Code: Select all

sudo installer -package /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg -target /
EvilJesterJoey

Post by EvilJesterJoey »

Restarting worked for me (full shut down and turn back on). Shouldn't have to buy a whole new hard drive and re-install everything, most people do not have time or money for that.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, my guess is the few people reporting this problem have something installed that is interfering with the normal installer or they have issues with their OSX 10.11.4 install. I have no idea why someone would try and install the package using the Terminal. At any rate, I have installed both VB 5.0.16 & VB 5.0.18 without issue on three different Macs. Two running OSX 10.11.4 and one running OSX 10.11.5.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

My 0.02¢...

There's not one, not two, not three people reporting something going on with the "normal" installation of VirtualBox. I really don't know if it coincided with an OSX update or with something wrong in the 5.0.18 installer. I will try to compare the two source trees. If I find anything I will report back.

PS. There were some recent changes in the linux trunk (at least) that made several files' security changes from 664 to 644... Will check...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, I spend a lot of time on the Apple Community forums. About 90% of problems people report are because they have incompatible software installed, another maybe 5% are running software that is ill advised to run on Macs because they harm the system, the rest are actual bugs in OSX 10.11.4. The way I have always look at software is, if it runs perfectly well for me on multiple Macs, it is not because I have a 'bad' install which coincidentally allows my Macs to run correctly. One of the three mentioned as far as I can tell didn't even attempt to install VB in a normal manner.
mrvkino

Post by mrvkino »

I have the same problem. But if I open the "Installer.app" and from there select the Virtualbox.pkg it will install. I don't know if I bypassed any security measures this way. Also, when I try to unmount the dmg Finder has to force eject it.

I enabled FileVault since the last time I installed Virtualbox 5.0.16. I don't know if this could cause any issue.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

mrvkino wrote:I have the same problem. But if I open the "Installer.app" and from there select the Virtualbox.pkg it will install. I don't know if I bypassed any security measures this way. Also, when I try to unmount the dmg Finder has to force eject it.

I enabled FileVault since the last time I installed Virtualbox 5.0.16. I don't know if this could cause any issue.
Sorry what? When you download VirtualBox for OSX it is a .dmg file. When you mount the .dmg what is inside IS the VirtualBox.pkg which IS the installer. There is no Installer.app.
mrvkino

Post by mrvkino »

Sorry, I rephrased what I said to be more clear.
When a ".pkg" file is opened by clicking on it, an application from OSX called "Installer.app" (/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app) opens the ".pkg" file and run the install (since the ".pkg" is only a container). If I start the app first and then open the Virtualbox.pkg from the app to run the install it runs but not by double clicking the Virtualbox.pkg in finder.

It does not matter anyway, since I tried a restart afterward and the bug disappeared. So now, I can start the install by clicking on the ".pkg" and run the install as normal.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Glad it's working for you now and I understand what you were trying to explain before. Just so it's clear there was something wrong with your OSX 10.11.4 install and not VirtualBox itself.
prairie
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win7, Ubuntu 11.04

Post by prairie »

I encountered same problem on 10.11.4 on my iMac. Tried several times, all had infinite 'Verifying' problem.

After doing a Restart of MacOS the install package verified and installed without any issues. VB runs fine.

Something was a problem, but not worth it to me to find out what. :(
gunderson

Post by gunderson »

this worked for me:

$ sudo open /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg
BasicTheProgram

Post by BasicTheProgram »

OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
VirtualBox-5.0.10-106931-OSX.dmg

$ shasum -a 256 VirtualBox-5.0.20-106931-OSX.dmg
804bfe75d40baf1a25ba025a07f440165868947ad2b41164ab0105cfa0fe6936 VirtualBox-5.0.20-106931-OSX.dmg

Like other before me I am having the Verifying VirtualBox.pkg that never ends. Previous versions of VirtualBox install just fine. Only 5.0.20 is giving me the problems. And like other before me when I try to eject the disk image I have to force it.

I have lots of other stuff installed so brew, brew cask, CleanMyMac, and much much more. But nothing has changed since I installed 5.0.18 and that release installed without a problem.

1. I have Console.app open to the install.log
2. Mount the VirtualBox-5.0.20-106931-OSX.dmg
3. Run the VirtualBox.pkg
4. The Verifying "VirtualBox.pkg" dialog is display
5. Nothing is displayed in the install.log
6. Waited 30 minutes, still nothing in install.log
7. Killed the Verification dialog
8. Rebooted

Repeated steps 1 to 6 But looking at all the logs

When I open the VirtualBox.pkg I get the following error message in system.log

CoreServicesUIAgent[498]: Error -60005 creating authorization
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000029.Installer[41895]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9

Disk Utility says my Drive is fine
VirtualBox 5.0.18 installs
Vagrant 1.8.1 installs

If you give me more directions on what information to report I can do that.

Tell me "... it's my Mac ... " or "... other software's problems ..." is not helpful as the only .pkg I cannot get to install is VirtualBox-5.0.20.

Thanks.
Dr. Bingo

Post by Dr. Bingo »

BasicTheProgram wrote:OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
If you give me more directions on what information to report I can do that.

Tell me "... it's my Mac ... " or "... other software's problems ..." is not helpful as the only .pkg I cannot get to install is VirtualBox-5.0.20.

Thanks.
Did you try the

trick? Worked for me.

sudo open /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg
did not.

I don't know if this is a VirtualBox or an El Capitan quirk, but my money is on OS X. Seems every update since the final Mavericks build has made it worse, not better. The first Cap build was pretty good, but it keeps getting worse with updates on my Air :(

Good thing this thread is here, so I could get VBox installed :)
GabeIsman

Post by GabeIsman »

Had the same problem. VirtualBox v5.0.20, OS X 10.11.4. The installer never properly opens, so no logs.

worked for me.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OK, everyone that reports this as a VirtualBox problem...

This is an OSX problem!

Take a look at the following Google query: "mac stuck at verifying" and you'll see what I mean. It happens with packages, apps, even simple files (jpegs for example).

I've spent hours and hours on this, thinking that it might be VirtualBox's fault. I've done some really investigative work on previous messed up OSX installations. On many occasions. Unfortunately in this case, there is not a single solution, but the consensus is that "something" is messed up with the installation on your Mac. Nobody seems to know exactly. It does NOT happen on a fresh install. Each and everyone of you has to figure out individually what or who might have altered something in your system.

As far as VirtualBox is concerned, nothing has changed in the installer for a long time, so that does not seem to be the problem. The workaround is simply an OSX workaround that seems to bypass some of the Gatekeeper security features of OSX.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.