USB transmission error on WinXP application

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JimA
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WIndows

USB transmission error on WinXP application

Post by JimA »

I was looking to run an old WinXP application on a VM so I don't have to keep a WinXP PC around anymore.

I tried a iMac 24 and a Macbook Pro both with OS X 10.11.2 with Virtualbox 5.0.14-105127 and the matching extension pack.

The Guest OS was WinXP SP3 all updates. The application works on everything, but the part where I try to write to a USB Card Writer. This card writer is a special USB writer and the cards are special for a particular manufacturer equipment. i.e. not CF or USB Flash drive.

I can read from the card, but not write without errors (the LED on the writer device does blink during the operation). The only error I get is a popup window that says Data Transmission error. I can't find any log information to know what happened as far as the App or WinXP goes.

I do know that the same App works on a Ubuntu 14.04 host with WinXP guest OS. I've tried installing fresh on the Macs and importing the VM from the Ubuntu system.

I'm willing to help debug this if someone wants to try and fix this, but for my needs I'm just going to use the Ubuntu PC for this application.

I thought it might be a symptom of a bigger VM on Mac issue. Or an undocumented setting/permission I need to make on the Mac.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB transmission error on WinXP application

Post by socratis »

It may very well be Apple's fault. Start reading the thread from the link below and you'll see the problems that VirtualBox developers are facing:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75478#p352369
but at the moment the El Capitan USB stack source code isn't available.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JimA

Post by JimA »

Well, if it becomes possible in the future to fix this. I'm willing to help. Since it works on my Ubuntu PC I have a solution.
JimA

Post by JimA »

One more item for the record. Same error on a Win7 32bit guest VM.