Failed installing Guest Additions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DevFingers
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, CentOS, Windows95 (jk)

Failed installing Guest Additions

Post by DevFingers »

Host:
OSX 10.11.2
VB 5.0.12
VirtualBox 5.0.12 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack

VM: Windows 10 Pro

When I try to install the guest additions I get an error when doing PnP :

Error 000003ee The volume for a file has been extenally altered...

How do I get the guest additions to install??

Here is the log

Code: Select all

(1) 0 - ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - Looking for Model Section [VBoxGuest.NTamd64]...
(1) 0 - Installing devices with Id "PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_CAFE&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00" using INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_4dc302fb4f5cdcb9\VBoxGuest.inf".
(1) 0 - ENTER UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices...
(0) 0 - RETURN UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices.
(1) 0 - Installation was successful.
(0) 0 - Install completed
(1) 0 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x0)
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - Installing devices with Id "PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_CAFE&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00" using INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_4dc302fb4f5cdcb9\vboxguest.inf".
(1) 0 - Will force install because driver is not better and force flag is set.
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxVideoW8.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 3758096640 - Could not open file C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxvideow8.inf_amd64_11a07ca6cccd43dd\vboxvideow8.inf.
(3) 1006 - PnP Install failed.
(1) 0 - Attempting to rollback ...
(1) 0 - No devices to rollback
(1) 0 - Successfully removed '{7d2c708d-c202-40ab-b3e8-de21da1dc629}' from reference list of driver store entry 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxvideow8.inf_amd64_11a07ca6cccd43dd\vboxvideow8.inf'
(1) 0 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x3EE)
(1) 0 - Installing devices with Id "PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_CAFE&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00" using INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_4dc302fb4f5cdcb9\vboxguest.inf".
(1) 0 - Will force install because driver is not better and force flag is set.
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxVideoW8.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 3758096640 - Could not open file C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxvideow8.inf_amd64_11a07ca6cccd43dd\vboxvideow8.inf.
(3) 1006 - PnP Install failed.
(1) 0 - Attempting to rollback ...
(1) 0 - No devices to rollback
(1) 0 - Successfully removed '{7d2c708d-c202-40ab-b3e8-de21da1dc629}' from reference list of driver store entry 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxvideow8.inf_amd64_11a07ca6cccd43dd\vboxvideow8.inf'
(1) 0 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x3EE)
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed installing Guest Additions

Post by socratis »

DevFingers wrote:When I try to install the guest additions I get an error when doing PnP
Hmm??? What exactly do you mean by that? Did you try the "standard" installation method as described in the User Manual?
DevFingers wrote:Error 000003ee The volume for a file has been extenally altered...
Who shows this message? Host? Guest? Are you forgetting any minute details about the setup of this VM? Something that you did outside the template suggested way?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DevFingers

Post by DevFingers »

I'm not doing anything special - while in the guest OS, Windows 10, I run the VirtualBox Guest Additions setup.

All of this is in the guest.

The guest VM is not new. It's been running for more than a year, and I've done many updates to the Host OS (OSX) version of VirtualBox in the past. This is the first time I've had an issue.

You can see in the included log that it fails when trying to install PnP drivers - just read the log.

When the standard install fails in the Guest, and says it can't continue, I hit cancel, and the final error window popup message comes up, again, all in the guest, with the 000003ee error message that the volume for a file has been externally altered.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Also, describe exactly how you are installing the Guest Additions.
DevFingers

Post by DevFingers »

Start Guest OS (Win 10 Pro)
Login to guest
Open File Explorer
Click on ‘CD Drive (D:) VirtualBox Guest Additions
Double click on VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe
Click ‘Yes to UAC dialog asking “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?”
Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.0.12 Setup Wizard opens
Click ‘Next’
Just click ‘Next’ on Choose Install Location
- the default shown is C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions
Just click ‘Install’ on ‘Choose Components’ (I didn’t select anything as it’s all checked to install and greyed out
…it starts to process
…It then stops with :
Installation Aborted
Setup was not completed successfully

The only option, in this final dialog box, is to hit ‘Cancel’
When you hit cancel, a final error alert popup shows: see attached screen shot.

The log is also attached, zipped as requested
Attachments
vblog.txt.zip
Log file
(25.51 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Last edited by DevFingers on 17. Jan 2016, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
DevFingers

Post by DevFingers »

Here is the screen capture (had to zip it too)
Attachments
VirtualBox_Win10_17_01_2016_13_07_46.png.zip
Screen capture of install error in guest
(202.42 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This looks and smells like a Windows installer error and not a VirtualBox error. There are numerous references to "the volume for a file has been externally altered" dealing with Windows native clients. Have you tried looking for a solution in a Windows-related forum?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DevFingers

Post by DevFingers »

The 'volume' is being provided by the host. If it's being altered, then it's the host, OSX, doing so. If it's an installer issue, then the issue is from there origin of the installer, which is the Host extension package for OSX. I've never had this issue with previous versions of VirtualBox I've had to upgrade through. Your logic does not follow through, as anyone in a Windows forum would say it's not Windows providing the environment or the installer.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you want to start questioning logic, start with yours:
  1. Your guest has no clue what a 'host' is. Try to prove to me that your guest knows it's running on top of your OSX host, and I'll apologize, but until then, you're dead wrong (and BTW, I don't mean some CPU registers, they do not alter filesystems).
  2. True, you are facing a problem with the GAs which are provided by VirtualBox. That doesn't mean that the rest of the world that has the exact same problem is trying to install the GAs as well.
  3. The fact that you never had a problem before means absolutely nothing, since you're the only one that may or may not know what happened to your guest. Are you trying to convince me that in a new, clean guest you'd have the same problem? Or that somehow you're the only one reporting such an error?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, I have no problem installing the guest additions in a Windows 10 guest running on three different OSX 10.11.2 hosts. My guess is your Windows 10 guest was damaged.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
DevFingers

Post by DevFingers »

Ok, ok - I just think people are taking a wild stab in the dark when they say 'smells like'. If someone can look at the log file and tell me the host is working normally, then I'll redo Win 10. My Win 10 was working just fine until I did this latest host upgrade. I've installed many other applications and never had an issue. It houses a large dev environment and it's a drag that I need to rebuild it... Perhaps the host upgrade just revealed a problem that was lurking around anyway...thanks Windows... :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DevFingers wrote:If someone can look at the log file and tell me the host is working normally
Take a look at the guest's log and tell you that your host is working fine? Not even a psychic could do that! I can tell you that your guest is not working right, and once again I suggest you search for a solution on Windows systems. Start with these forums here might be a good start, but, by all means, do not limit yourself here.

"the volume for a file has been externally altered site:virtualbox.org"
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I would drop the "site:forums.virtualbox.org" parameter. It seems to be a Win7 support issue and as such will not necessarily have been discussed a lot on the VirtualBox forums.
DevFingers

Post by DevFingers »

@socratis - no - not the guest log, the attached file for the host log to determine the host health. Sorry for not specifying - I thought that was obvious. I'll be more clear in the future. See the post on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:14 pm for the zipped attachment
Last edited by DevFingers on 18. Jan 2016, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

The only log I see is the guest log.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.