Massive memory leak VB 5.10/5.12 MAC OS X 10.11.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Massive memory leak VB 5.10/5.12 MAC OS X 10.11.2

Post by loukingjr »

mpack wrote:Actually, you were not the "someone" I had in mind, I was thinking of Perry but didn't think the "who" was important.
awww, shucks. I don't even rate being a "someone". :wink:

I was trying to be funny. I guess I'll stop that now. 8)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
nannou9

Post by nannou9 »

Just to update.
This issue is still occurring on latest VBox and macOS 10.12.2.
Haven't tested with 10.12.3 yet.

Personally for me it makes VBox completly unusable for mac servers.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. I don't know why this is in "OSX guests", moving to "OSX hosts".
  2. There's a sticky post in the "OSX hosts", titled REMINDER: provide facts and information:
    klaus on 2013-10-30 wrote:Lately there is an increase of extremely vague posts which don't contain the bare minimum information to reply anything sensible. Keep in mind that this results in your post being ignored, which is the opposite of what you want. So provide as much detail as you can, please, as this will ensure you get a good and fast answer.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nannou9

Post by nannou9 »

Everything I believe had sense, was provided in my 1st three posts on this thread.
I am experiencing this issue on all 5 macs I was working on: 3 iMacs and 2 mac minis.
If there are any questions, requests to provide some more details, i am happy to do so but need to know what exactly to provide on top of what I already did.
Funny thing is that nobody else seems to face it, while I am facing it with 100% success- it just need time and patience as it only occurs if nobody touches anything on mac for days and VM CAN'T be focused.
This was actually my workaround for few weeks- to leave focus on VM window, which was preventing the leak to happen.

Anyway, now on Parallels and problem is gone.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

nannou9 wrote:Funny thing is that nobody else seems to face it, while I am facing it with 100% success
Everybody faces it. You seem to be the only one that fails to understand that this is not a memory leak, it's OSX's built-in cache management at work. We asked for proof of the memory leak, not the memory usage. You confuse the two. The core process is not consuming more and more. OSX (or any other host OS) is giving memory to the process according to its needs until the resources are depleted. Cache memory. Here's the Wikipedia article on memory leak. A small excerpt, but please read the whole thing:
a memory leak is a type of resource leak that occurs when a computer program incorrectly manages memory allocations in such a way that memory which is no longer needed is not released.
Launch Firefox and go to a page that tests all 4572 fonts that you have installed locally in your computer. Memory usage attributed to Firefox is going to skyrocket. Why? Because your OS is caching the fonts as they are requested. Quit Firefox. Is that memory coming back? No. Why? Well, since the host OS bothered to load all these fonts in memory, and since nobody else is asking for memory allocation, it's going to keep the handle valid in case that someone else asks for that font. Is that a Firefox leak? No way.

Even after all this time, you haven't told us anything about the usage patterns of these VMs:
  • Are they isolated or not? My feeling: no.
  • Do the VMs open/read/write/close files/pipes/connections outside the VM? My feeling: yes.
  • Does that host OS cache these files/pipes/connections? It better, otherwise it's not doing its job correctly.
Remember, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
texasralph

Post by texasralph »

I am having the same issue. I cannot leave VirtualBox running as my wired memory goes to 75% of my total memory and it takes forever to wake from sleep. Wouldn't that count as core process growing out control?

27" iMAC late 2012 with 32 GB RAM
Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)
Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager 5.1.26 with a Windows 10 guest