windows7 64 bits virtual machine transplant to MacBook Pro

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
traja47
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win7 pro 64 bits

windows7 64 bits virtual machine transplant to MacBook Pro

Post by traja47 »

windows 10 host, created virtual machine windows 7 64 bits guest
runs peacefully

copied windows 7 64 bits guest file to a portable hard disk

have a 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
installed virtual box to be a host

MacBook complaining it cannot write to portable hard disk
file format NTFS, can only read

question:
a) what are the changes required on MacBook Pro host to read/write NTFS guest from/to portable hard disk?

thanks in advance for the assistance

Attachments
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (61.83 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: windows7 64 bits virtual machine transplant to MacBook P

Post by socratis »

traja47 wrote:a) what are the changes required on MacBook Pro host to read/write NTFS guest from/to portable hard disk?
This has absolutely nothing to do with VirtualBox. But, you could search the webs for "Mac read-write NTFS" and you'll end up with a couple of solutions like FUSE for OSX, Paragon, etc. All of the solutions are not native to the Mac, they're 3rd party "add-ons". For a native solution I would suggest next time to go with something like an exFAT filesystem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
traja47
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win7 pro 64 bits

Re: windows7 64 bits virtual machine transplant to MacBook P

Post by traja47 »

socratis wrote:
traja47 wrote:a) what are the changes required on MacBook Pro host to read/write NTFS guest from/to portable hard disk?
This has absolutely nothing to do with VirtualBox. But, you could search the webs for "Mac read-write NTFS" and you'll end up with a couple of solutions like FUSE for OSX, Paragon, etc. All of the solutions are not native to the Mac, they're 3rd party "add-ons". For a native solution I would suggest next time to go with something like an exFAT filesystem.
thanks socratis

the best solution we have implemented is to format the portable disk drive using exFAT
now it works perfect