Extensions pack fails to install on El Capitan

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
origin1tech

Post by origin1tech »

Looks to be an issue installing the appropriate extensions pack on El Capitan. Gives the following error however there is no way to change permissions on /Applications folder unless you disable "SIP" (strange name considering SIP usually refers to VOIP but i digress) from recovery mode then reboot, change permissions, install extensions then reboot back into recovery model re-enable SIP and then reboot one last time.

Is there a better way of going about this?

Code: Select all

Failed to install the Extension Pack /Users/${whoami}/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.0.10-104061.vbox-extpack.

The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp: error: World writable: '/Applications'.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Extensions pack fails to install on El Capitan

Post by socratis »

SIP does not mean what you think it means (System Integrity Protection). Blame Apple for that.

You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. You have hacked your system and now the ExtPack refuses to install. The error is clear:
error: World writable: '/Applications'.
The /Applications folder should not be world writable. I suggest you fix your permissions by executing the following in the Terminal:
sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume / --debug
This will repair system permissions and return them to their defaults. And remember, next time you hack your system you'd better know what you're doing, because you're on your own... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
origin1tech

Post by origin1tech »

No permissions repair on El Capitan or I would have already done that.

No my comment re: Sip was just that...why the heck did they name it that lol.

pretty sure my hunch is correct was hoping someone could confirm or show another work around.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

origin1tech wrote:No permissions repair on El Capitan or I would have already done that.
So you actually tried the command that I gave you? Or you actually read the man pages and you concluded that there is no way to repair the permissions on El Capitan? Seriously? Because Apple claims otherwise...
man repair_packages
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
origin1tech

Post by origin1tech »

What I meant was it is removed from Disk Utility, but yeah I already tried it and it won't repair "Applications" folder which is the issue or so it reports.

Anyway ur right u can use terminal of course but you'll still be blocked from repairing the Applications folder.

I'm fairly certain you won't be able to repair that folder without disabling SIP updating the Applications permissions and then reenabling SIP.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, if you reinstall OSX 10.11.1 it will fix all permissions. But I believe the terminal command should work as well from what I've read.
short version…

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs /
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
origin1tech

Post by origin1tech »

yeah man thx I tried that, i'd add a screen shot but trust me it won't update the "Applications" folder.

rather certain if you reboot into recovery then disable SIP repair permissions then reboot back into recovery and re-enable SIP, lastly reboot again you should be good but I haven't tried it. I will tonight.

Steps below: (NOT CONFIRMED: the steps below are not confirmed just my assumption for future reference)

1. Reboot your Mac into Recovery Mode by restarting your computer and holding down below until the Apple logo appears on your screen.

Command+R 
Click Utilities > Terminal.

2. In the Terminal window.

csrutil disable
3. Restart your Mac.

4. Repair your permissions.

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs /
5. Repeat step 1.

6. Re-enable SIP

csrutil enable
7. Repeat step 3.

This should work although admittedly I have not had a chance to test it. If someone can confirm or has further suggestions please do so.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Whatever you say.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you keep messing with and experimenting, at least: try the recipe, make sure it works and then post the results. Remember, you came over here because you messed up your system. VirtualBox had absolutely nothing to do with that.
origin1tech

Post by origin1tech »

You guys are funny.

So I messed up an out of the box brand new Mac Pro from Apple????

Feel free to send complaints to Cupertino.

My guess is it's the VirtualBox installer that doesn't play nice with how El Capitan works permission-wise. At least that is what some digging has eluded to.

...and I tried what was suggested. it doesn't work on a brand new machine period.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Seeing I am running VirtualBox 5.0.10 on three different macs including a Late 2015 27" iMac 5k Retina and an Early 2015 MacBook without any permissions problems, I would have to say it is either something you did or something else you installed.
origin1tech

Post by origin1tech »

It's possible something else might muck with permissions on install however that's the whole point of SIP is to maintain those permissions and prevent this sort of thing.

Hence why it was removed from Disk Utility. My understanding is that it auto repairs on updates etc.

Brand new machine so there are only a handful of apps installed.

what are the permissions on your El Capitan installed Mac for the /Applications folder out of curiosity?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

drwxrwxr-x+
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

origin1tech wrote:So I messed up an out of the box brand new Mac Pro from Apple????
No, just a fresh install will suffice.
origin1tech wrote:My guess is it's the VirtualBox installer that doesn't play nice with how El Capitan works permission-wise. At least that is what some digging has eluded to.
No. The installer does not muck with the permissions at all! Add that to the fact that you have a knowledge of SIP and you've been enabling/disabling it at will, I would put my money on your fault (or another installer's, but I highly doubt it.

You know what I think happened? You wanted to install an app that didn't like SIP. You disabled it. Unknowingly to you the permissions changed on the /Applications folder. Now you're stuck.

But, since this problem is out of the scope of VirtualBox, this will be my last post on this topic.
origin1tech

Post by origin1tech »

This endless attempt to pin a problem on a user is tiring...

Quote from Apple Forum:
The System Integrity Protection is designed to block changes to System owned locations including /Applications
You are simply WRONG you CANNOT adjust permissions on these system owned directories while SIP is enabled period.

This will be my last ON TOPIC post since ignoring your faulty assumptions resolved the issue.

See above steps for repairing.

As to why or what caused this on a new machine I have no idea nor do I care. What I can tell you is others have experienced the same issue.

What I do know based on various posts on the Apple Forum as well as issues posted related to VirtualBox and El Capitan users have clearly encountered some snafus here and there.

If applications, computers and the like worked perfectly and there were never install/update issues most that visit this forum wouldn't have jobs.

Quit defaulting to "it's your fault" mentality. It helps no one.