Accessing Kinect Camera

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Avnerus

Accessing Kinect Camera

Post by Avnerus »

Hi!
I am using VirtualBox with Boot2docker on OSX and I'm trying to access Microsoft Kinect for XBOX360 on the guest Linux OS.
I installed the extension pack and was able to share access to the 3 USB devices:

Code: Select all

Microsoft Xbox NUI Motor
Microsoft Xbox NUI Audio
Microsoft Xbox NUI Camera
I was also able to share them from the docker machine to the docker containers using the --device flag.
However, while applications such as OpenNI2 are able to find the device, and even control its motor, the camera stream is always completely blank and I see messages such as:

[Stream 70] Lost 23351 total packets in 0 frames (inf lppf)
On rare occasions, one frame was suddenly able to pass and I could actually get one frozen image.
I read in several locations and also in this forum that at least regarding webcams, It is advised to use the "Webcam passthrough mode" described in the VirtualBox manual.
However the Kinect camera is not recognized on my host as a webcam, and the output of VBoxManage list webcams is just:

.1 "FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)"
0x1a11000005ac8510
When running ioreg, the XBOX devices appear as such:

Xbox NUI Motor@1a122000  <class IOUSBDevice, id 0x1000130c1, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (24 ms), retain 11>
Xbox NUI Audio@1a121000  <class IOUSBDevice, id 0x1000131a0, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (6 ms), retain 9>
Xbox NUI Camera@1a123000  <class IOUSBDevice, id 0x1000132a9, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (19 ms), retain 11>
Is there any way out of this mess?? Would appreciate any advice.
Thank you!

/Avner
Avnerus

Re: Accessing Kinect Camera

Post by Avnerus »

BUMP?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Accessing Kinect Camera

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, I suspect you haven't had a reply because no one here is using your set up to test or try and get working. This forum does not support Boot2Docker. You may want to ask the developers of B2D if you haven't already.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.