Can't add virtual floppy file

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Can't add virtual floppy file

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, you cannot use Disk Utility to create a raw floppy image.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, it's clear now that a floppy was never involved. It's a USB stick, so if anything it will resemble an hdd, and look nothing like a floppy.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

You can of course make a bootable .dmg or .img or .iso file from a source that's bootable.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

loukingjr wrote:You can of course make a bootable .dmg or .img or .iso file from a source that's bootable.
Not as easily as you might think. You can't just image a bootable hdd and call it an ISO for example. CDs have entirely different sector structure and filesystem. It may be a significant conversion project. A floppy image is similar to an hd image, i.e. it has a boot sector but no MBR - which is enough to create conversion problems for most. OTOH a USB stick is laid out like a hard disk, with MBR, volume boot sector and hdd-typical filesystem (FAT32 or NTFS usually) - so I'd expect conversion to an hdd image to be possible, having never actually tried it.

And all this ignores those newfangled EFI boot options obviously.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Yes Don. Don't mind me. I was actually thinking it's easy to create a bootable USB flash drive from a bootable .iso and a bootable .iso from a CD/DVD installer. My brain doesn't work the way it once did. :D
gagash

Post by gagash »

Generally it is USB stick with some .key file in it, it is personal certificate file that some banking system use for identification. It is must to be connected to the usb port when i need to work with my online banking account for some security reason and also i use stock exchange client software that working only on windows platform that is the reason why i am using virtual box. As a virtualisation software i generally prefer oracle virtual box, i like it, it is easy and i have some centos instants for some web developing project. But when i discovered that i can't emulate usb stick with virtual box then i try to test vmware fusion software where i can emulate my usb stick as a floppy drive. Unfortunatly at this time i don't know how to create usb image but i still search the way.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

So you are just trying to avoid plugging in the USB stick whenever you need to access your account?
gagash

Post by gagash »

loukingjr wrote:So you are just trying to avoid plugging in the USB stick whenever you need to access your account?
not convenient way to working on macbook or any laptop, in my opinion of course. Its always stick at the side of laptop, it easy to lost and etc. If there is a way to create image of it and use virtually as a image why to suffer with hard way. :)
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Just doing a quick search it seems you need to use Plop Boot Manager with VMWare Fusion. Apparently you might be able to do the same thing with VirtualBox but you would have to contact the author of Plop to see how or post a question on the Plop Forums.
gagash

Post by gagash »

mpack wrote:Well, it's clear now that a floppy was never involved. It's a USB stick, so if anything it will resemble an hdd, and look nothing like a floppy.
yes, this why it not work, thanks for this!
I am stick with floppy image because after virtualbox i tried with another virtualisation software and it can mount image as a floppy drive, but look for my image file that i created from usb.
Then i going to try same way with virtualbox, but can't.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

gagash wrote:not convenient way to working on macbook or any laptop, in my opinion of course. Its always stick at the side of laptop, it easy to lost and etc.
I don't know where you are in the world, but here in the UK you can find these on Amazon quite easily :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Fit-Flas ... +usb+stick

As USB sticks they are not the best in the world, but they are quite cheap (in fact the lower capacity versions of this are much cheaper), and they are particularly ideal for attaching to a notebook, music system, media players etc and just leaving them in there permanently, because they barely stick out at all - and those applications don't need the fastest storage. Cases will usually still close with this in.
gagash

Post by gagash »

mpack wrote:
gagash wrote:not convenient way to working on macbook or any laptop, in my opinion of course. Its always stick at the side of laptop, it easy to lost and etc.
I don't know where you are in the world, but here in the UK you can find these on Amazon quite easily :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Fit-Flas ... +usb+stick

As USB sticks they are not the best in the world, but they are quite cheap (in fact the lower capacity versions of this are much cheaper), and they are particularly ideal for attaching to a notebook, music system, media players etc and just leaving them in there permanently, because they barely stick out at all - and those applications don't need the fastest storage. Cases will usually still close with this in.
I have a lot of USB sticks , SD and CF cards, :) and few days ago bought exactly this short SanDisk 32gb which you suggest, but it not for this project! :) ... Of course there is nothing wrong about usb stick generally, i am agree with you, but again, why to occupy one of two available ports on macbook where only 2 usb port available at all, if i can use virtual image? There is a lot of situation when i need to work with 2 usb device connected at the same time. Virtual connected images works well with virtualising software, It is possible, it work well on other virtual envoirment. But just for this time i can't make it work in VirtualBox.
gagash

Post by gagash »

mpack wrote:If you create a valid media file, you can mount it in a VM on the appropriate controller. I am not an OS X user and can't comment on how you can use "Disk Utility" correctly..
probably you are right. I will try to create it from terminal using dd, not gui Disk Utility.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You should pass your comments on to the people who make you use a USB dongle, since it sounds like you have a perfectly legitimate complaint.
gagash

Post by gagash »

Tried to create image at the Windows 7 side, just connect usb stick on the Windows and make image from usb using imageUSB utility and transfer it to the OS X, it is can create .dmg and .iso image file but unfortunately none of them doesn't work with virtualbox. same error.