Unable to use 4.1.14 on OS X El Capitan

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
KC12321

Unable to use 4.1.14 on OS X El Capitan

Post by KC12321 »

Appreciative of any help anyone can offer... I am desperate!

I upgraded my Mac to OS X El Capitan today... little did I know, I would not be able to run my VirtualBox on it (I was running 4.1.14). I got this message upon installation of the updated Mac OS: "You can’t use this version of the application “VirtualBox” with this version of OS X. You have “VirtualBox” 4.1.14."

I am desperate to retrieve files from my VirtualBox. What can I do to retrieve them, and use VirtualBox again? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to use 4.1.14 on OS X El Capitan

Post by mpack »

What's wrong with the obvious: upgrade VirtualBox?

Upgrading software has no effect on data, which is what VMs are to the host.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

KC12321 wrote:I got this message upon installation of the updated Mac OS: "You can’t use this version of the application “VirtualBox” with this version of OS X. You have “VirtualBox” 4.1.14."
That is a message coming from the OS. If you don't like it, you have to complain to Apple. Apple made El Capitan incompatible with VirtualBox 4.1, not Oracle. Oracle does not have a time machine and cannot make old versions of its software incompatible with future operating systems :)

But the obvious solution is indeed upgrading VirtualBox to a version (5.0.x) which does run on El Capitan.
KC12321

Post by KC12321 »

Thank you both! Someone else set this technology up for me, and I am just very, very ignorant on how VirtualMachine/VirtualBox functions. So as is true again and again, fear is a product of ignorance :). I upgraded as you stated, and all is well for me again. Thank you for educating me!!! I appreciate your rescuing me so much.