NAT over WiFi

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
rudy

NAT over WiFi

Post by rudy »

Dear all:

I cannot connect to the internet from VB guests via NAT. I understand from various posts that this is because of connecting my Mac to the internet over the WiFi (Airport Extreme) interface. I beg you: Has anyone found a workaround? I do not have any wires at home nor at work! WiFi only! Please help !!! :-)))

I have installed VB 1.6.2 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 with an Ubuntu 8.04 guest (JeOS). I have used the default network settings, that is NAT. I have worked with this exact setup with VB under linux and with Parallels under the Mac without any problems...

Thanks a lot for any advice or pointers!!!

Rudy

P.S.: To the VirtualBox developers: Can you fix this, please?!!? Or at least warn about it in the release notes so that we do not have to investigate this when the network does not work?? Thanks!!!
ForrestB

Post by ForrestB »

I'm not running Linux as a guest OS, but wireless access under Windows XPSP2 Guest works fine under VirtualBox 1.60
rudy

Post by rudy »

ForrestB, thanks for your response. Could you be kind enough to post more details on your config? You installed VB on OS X 10.4, created a VM with default NAT and WinXP, and the networking just works?!! Does the connection appear to the XP as if it were wired ethernet even though it's really WiFi outside of VB?

Or did you have to configure something differently than just the default NAT networking? Or did you have to do anything to your firewall in OS X? You use 10.4, correct?

Thanks a lot, I am really stuck!

Best of luck
Rudy
ForrestB

Post by ForrestB »

I'm running VBox 1.60 under the latest version of OSX 10.5.2

In VBox, I've checked 'Enable Network Adapter' and 'Cable Connected'. The adapter type is PCnet-Fast III (Am79C973) which is attached to NAT

The OSX Firewall interface is very simplified in OSX 10.5.x, and wireless access under Windows XP works in both 'Allow all incoming connections' and 'Allow only essential services'
rudy

Post by rudy »

Thanks, ForrestB. I guess it might have something to do with 10.5 versus 10.4 that I use. Under Windows, the connection appears wired, right? Thanks. Rudy
ForrestB

Post by ForrestB »

Yes, under Windows it appears to be a 100 Mbps wired connection with a locally assigned IP address (10.x.x.x)
rudy

Post by rudy »

Thanks ForrestB, I appreciate it!

Anyone else has a positive experience / workaround for the Tiger 10.4 setup? I still did not make the AirPort work with the NATed VB 1.6.2 running Ubuntu JeOS 8.04...

Thanks a lot, have a great day.
Rudy
hkogekar

Post by hkogekar »

I have a a win XP guest with Os/x Tiger. I had to set DNS for my ISP address in the TCP/IP set up on the windows for the wireless network to work. I had to do that for the 1.5.51 as well as 1.6.2 versions of Vbox. Hope this helps.
rudy

Post by rudy »

Thanks, hkogekar, but that is not my case. I cannot get any packets through even if I use IP addresses... :(

Thanks, Rudy
clydemoreno

That totally worked for me. Thanks.

Post by clydemoreno »

hkogekar wrote:I have a a win XP guest with Os/x Tiger. I had to set DNS for my ISP address in the TCP/IP set up on the windows for the wireless network to work. I had to do that for the 1.5.51 as well as 1.6.2 versions of Vbox. Hope this helps.