Version 5.0.8 will not mount Bootcamp partition

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
AlanL

Version 5.0.8 will not mount Bootcamp partition

Post by AlanL »

Not sure if this has been addressed previously on this forum. Upgraded to 5.0.8 and on starting a Bootcamp partition that has worked flawlessly on versions 4.* returned an error as below:

VD: error VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED opening image file '/Users/alitchfi/win7raw.vmdk' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).
VD: error VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED opening image file '/Users/alitchfi/win7raw.vmdk' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).
Failed to open image '/Users/alitchfi/win7raw.vmdk' in read-write mode (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).
Failed to attach driver below us! Not supported. (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).
AHCI: Failed to attach drive to Port0 (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I reinstalled version 4.3.32 r103443 and the Bootcamp runs as previously.

What is required to make the vm run the version 5.*?
JesseYu

Re: Version 5.0.8 will not mount Bootcamp partition

Post by JesseYu »

Yes. I confirm that I got the exact same error message and I tried various things such as re-installing 5.0.8 and re-creating the virtual machine file but nothing worked. I reinstalled back the old VirtualBox 4.3.32 and it's back to normal. I hope this gets fixed as it would be nice to be able to access USB 3.0.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Thanks. I was going to try making a new vm but now that I see what you have reported, I will not.
BootersNo

Post by BootersNo »

Created account to report same issue. By deleting the image from SATA and adding as IDE, I was able to get a kernel panic (yay, further than reported behavior), but couldn't get the machine to boot. Reverted to 4.3.32 and everything is peachy. Issue persists in 5.10
mspcd

Post by mspcd »

I'm also experiencing the exact same issue, with Bootcamp/Win7 and VirtualBox 5 on an OSX host. Same error message.

I've also reverted to the final version of 4.3.32, which does still work, but not with USB, as this is broken in El Capitan/VB 4.3.32 (there's another thread about this).

Signed up here, as I'd like to find out if/when the Bootcamp issue gets resolved in a 5.x release, so I can upgrade and hopefully get USB support back!

Happy to provide more details if this will help debug.
bp90

Post by bp90 »

I created an account as a "me too" for this error on version 5.0.10. Reverted back to 4.3.34 and issue appears resolved.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

There is a Bugtracker ticket addressing the problem: Ticket 14613
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Please read that ticket, try the latest test build and attach the VBox.log file to that ticket.
alfon_sico

Post by alfon_sico »

I think I'm gonna going crazy trying to boot external usbwith VirtualBox but it seems 5.0.8

This weekend I get boot a Windows 10 to go with a external USB 3.0 flash and I was trying to round the circle booting that external drive with VirtualBox as use to do with Bootcamp partition

Several a tutorials after I saw its VirtualBox 5.0.8 bug. Will wait, hope soon It could be resolved
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

alfon_sico wrote:I think I'm gonna going crazy trying to boot external usb with VirtualBox
I'm afraid that you cannot boot an external USB drive with VirtualBox. Independent of the version. This is not a bug, it simply doesn't exist. VirtualBox does not support it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
alfon_sico

Post by alfon_sico »

socratis wrote:
alfon_sico wrote:I think I'm gonna going crazy trying to boot external usb with VirtualBox
I'm afraid that you cannot boot an external USB drive with VirtualBox. Independent of the version. This is not a bug, it simply doesn't exist. VirtualBox does not support it.
Ouch! I think I could resolve waiting for 5.0.11

Well, I saw some tricks to get it with Virtualbox Windows Host
http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/how- ... are-server

Would you think I could find something similar?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't know, I haven't tried it. You could go for raw access of the USB (in theory), but I haven't had the need for it either.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
questu

Post by questu »

AlanL wrote:Not sure if this has been addressed previously on this forum. Upgraded to 5.0.8 and on starting a Bootcamp partition that has worked flawlessly on versions 4.* returned an error as below:

Failed to open image '/Users/alitchfi/win7raw.vmdk' in read-write mode (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).
Failed to attach driver below us! Not supported. (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).
AHCI: Failed to attach drive to Port0 (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I reinstalled version 4.3.32 r103443 and the Bootcamp runs as previously.

What is required to make the vm run the version 5.*?
In the setting for mass storage, under "Controller: SATA" you have to enable "Use Host I/O cache". Win-8.1 Bootcamp partition well accessible by VB 5.04 under OSX 10.11.3 here. Give it a try with VB 5.08.