Opening files in Win (guestOS) by clicking it at OSX Host?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
gagash

Opening files in Win (guestOS) by clicking it at OSX Host?

Post by gagash »

Is it possible to setup? For example if i need to open my received by Apple Mail .xls file with Microsoft Office 2003 which i had installed on my guest Window XP?
Last edited by gagash on 12. Oct 2015, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Opening files in GuestOSwin by clicking it at OSxHost?

Post by mpack »

An OS X expert will probably be along soon. But practically speaking, I'd think not.

It would be possible to write a script that launches VirtualBox and runs a guest app which opens a file... but the file would have to be in a location which the VM is allowed to access - and you don't want to give a VM access to the entire host filesystem.
gagash

Re: Opening files in GuestOSwin by clicking it at OSxHost?

Post by gagash »

mpack wrote:An OS X expert will probably be along soon. But practically speaking, I'd think not.

It would be possible to write a script that launches VirtualBox and runs a guest app which opens a file... but the file would have to be in a location which the VM is allowed to access - and you don't want to give a VM access to the entire host filesystem.
Apple Script just for files with .xls extensions, which start Excel from VirtualBox Windows XP? Well, thanks for idea, but wonder is there solution out of box?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Opening files in Win (guestOS) by clicking it at OSX Hos

Post by socratis »

gagash wrote:wonder is there solution out of box?
Nope, there isn't. What you'd have to do (at least the general idea), either in Applescript, or plain bash script is to:
  • Associate your script with .xls files. Not sure how to do that, or if it even doable.
  • Copy/move (from within your script) the "file.xls" to a shared folder of your host so that the guest has access to it. Most probably read/write. Of course you have to setup shared folders or a true network share.
  • Use the "VBoxManage guestcontrol <YourVM> run" command with the appropriate syntax. See Ch. 8.31 VBoxManage guestcontrol for more information.
Too much work for a simple double-click if you ask me...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

If by "out of the box" you want to open an attachment you received in Mail in your XP guest, the easiest way would be to save the attachment to a shared folder you set up for your XP guest. Another easy method would be to set up Outlook Express with the email account where you receive attachments.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
gagash

Post by gagash »

loukingjr wrote:Another easy method would be to set up Outlook Express with the email account where you receive attachments.
nice idea, but most of time i am using mac and reading email with apple mail client, but for some ms exel files i need to use windows ms exel. Then it is not quiet convinient change to windows when received file with .xls attachment.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

If you mainly need to open Excel files, you can install LibreOffice on your Mac. It will also open other Microsoft files such a .doc Word files.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

loukingjr wrote:install LibreOffice on your Mac
You know, sometimes the solution is so simple, yet we manage to make it very hard to solve a problem (see my 1st post on the thread). It's like going from Boston to NY, via Los Angeles :).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

We all do it. 8)
gagash

Post by gagash »

loukingjr wrote:If you mainly need to open Excel files, you can install LibreOffice on your Mac. It will also open other Microsoft files such a .doc Word files.
unfortunately there is senders which sends old exel 2003 files, this .xls documents will open with libreoffice and also i can use a new Exel 2016 for mac, but because this senders use the old microsoft office version their is some conflicts at tables and function. The the solution is to open it with microsoft office 2003 exel. I know it sound strange but i tried a lot of electronic table layout programs and no one work well.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

you did lose me earlier. if you have to use Microsoft Excel 2003 which is only on your XP guest, You have to either download the attachment while you are in the guest or drop the file in a shared folder while you are on your host then open it in your guest. Those are your options.
gagash

Post by gagash »

loukingjr wrote:you did lose me earlier. if you have to use Microsoft Excel 2003 which is only on your XP guest, You have to either download the attachment while you are in the guest or drop the file in a shared folder while you are on your host then open it in your guest. Those are your options.
no, didn't lost, i see, thank you, very useful.