Need Ideas for running SMB1 Server Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
brycesteiner
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Need Ideas for running SMB1 Server Guest

Post by brycesteiner »

Hello Virtualbox users,

I am running Yosemite server and I'm fully committed using the SMB that's built in. I was using the SMBUP and it worked great for XP users. Now that Apple is not supporting AFP anymore I'm switching all the clients to SMB3 and turning off AFP in the server. It's been good for the Mac computers--surprisingly. The folders with lots of files display much faster than with AFP.

So here is my problem: XP clients use SMB1 and they seem to connect to fine to other windows computers but they cannot connect/open or save files, even with changing the registry, to OS X Yosemite Server consistently.

My first idea was to install SMBup again with Samba and use a different WINS name from the Server WINS name--basically run two different SMB servers on one computer with different names. After reading SMBup's installation it says it will replace the apple SMB server. So that would defeat the purpose.

My next idea was to run a virtual machine that shared the folders from an XP guest using Shared Folders. Everything went well until I realized that it's connection XP guest server is as a share which cannot be re-shared.

I could upgrade the guests right? I've made numerous attempts to upgrade to 7 and 10 and it works successfully but the newer versions of Acrobat (which is a must) don't have near the ability to change the look and use much more screen realestate. Not to mention some of the features were removed.

So I would like to keep XP and use an XP guest server. What are your ideas?

Thanks!