Language problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Polikarpus

Language problem

Post by Polikarpus »

I can't change the language to english in the preferences menu. Now it's in a 'i don't know what language'

Attached you'll find a screenshot of my settings.

Rebooting, re-installing doesn't work.

note: everytime i update my OS, i have always problems with the kernel driver, but i've been able to manage this.
The language problem occured randomly without an update.

Can someone give me a solution?
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (61.97 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Language problem

Post by socratis »

It seems like a font problem on your OS X host (BTW, what is your host running exactly?). Did you install any fonts or programs lately?

Try the following command from the terminal and attach the "output" file named 'fontlist.zip', so that I can compare it with mine and/or a typical OS X installation:
  fc-list | sort > fontlist.txt ; zip fontlist.zip fontlist.txt ; rm fontlist.txt
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Polikarpus

Post by Polikarpus »

Sorry for the late post, but i don't have access in the weekends.

I'm running windows xp sp 3. I used VB 4.2, now 4.3. Sometimes if i open my VB, it seems to be ok. It's not all time.

I have this problem since a few months, but it didn't bother, untill i had the problem with my kernel driver every time i update my OS. So, no programs were exactly installed lately.
I have suitcase fusion and sometimes i receive pdfs with such a language or font. Before this problem i never had any problems with my fonts or however.

Btw i tried your command line, but it doesn't work
iMac-Tim:~ tim$ fc-list | sort > fontlist.txt ; zip fontlist.zip fontlist.txt ; rm font
adding: fontlist.txt (deflated 90%)
rm: font: No such file or directory
iMac-Tim:~ tim$ fc-list | sort > fontlist.txt ; zip fontlist.zip fontlist.txt ; rm font
updating: fontlist.txt (deflated 90%)
rm: font: No such file or directory
iMac-Tim:~ tim$
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, the command was…

Code: Select all

fc-list | sort > fontlist.txt ; zip fontlist.zip fontlist.txt ; rm fontlist.txt
not

Code: Select all

fc-list | sort > fontlist.txt ; zip fontlist.zip fontlist.txt ; rm font
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Polikarpus wrote:i tried your command line, but it doesn't work
That's because it is truncated. I tried to put the whole thing in one line, but ... hey...
Try the following (commands are "broken" into one-liners):
  fc-list | sort > fontlist.txt
  zip fontlist.zip fontlist.txt
  rm fontlist.txt
which basically 1) generates a list of fonts in a file called "fontlist.txt", 2) zips that file to "fontlist.zip" and 3) deletes the "fontlist.txt" file so it doesn't bother you. Attach the "fontlist.zip" file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Polikarpus

Post by Polikarpus »

Thank you.

The problem seems to be solved. I did an upgrade to VB 5. Normally i try this before going to a forum, but it wasn't working before i installed El Captain. So i thought neh..

Anyway here is my fontlist. i think it's the one before the upgrade.
Attachments
fontlist.zip
(19.03 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Polikarpus wrote:The problem seems to be solved.
Maybe there was a font-cache problem which got auto-magically resolved.