DVD drive won't mount.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Gary M

DVD drive won't mount.

Post by Gary M »

I have VirtualBox 5.0.6 with the extension pack. It's running Windows 7. I have software I want to install but the DVD drive (Mac and Windows compatible) won't mount successfully.

The drive mounts on my Mac. Turning on the guest machine removes the drive from my finder (which I think is the way it's supposed to work). On the VB, I am able to see the drive under devices. Though it is chosen, and I have created it's "filter", it keeps telling me to insert a disk into the drive. Needless to say, I have tried several disks and continue to hit this roadblock.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: DVD drive won't mount.

Post by mpack »

A USB CD drive is not really a CD drive. The reasons for this have been discussed several times. Cutting to the chase: you can use the drive to make an ISO image of the CD/DVD, then mount the ISO in the VM.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Just to add to what mpack said, If the drive in question is a USB 3.0 drive, AFAIK, Windows 7 doesn't natively support USB 3.0.

However it's very simple to create an .iso file from a disk with OSX. With the disk mounted in the Finder, open Disk Utility, select "New Image" from the File menu, select the disk, choose "CD/DVD Master" then click okay. Once it's done change the extension of the new file from .cdr to .iso.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Gary M

Post by Gary M »

loukingjr wrote:With the disk mounted in the Finder, open Disk Utility, select "New Image" from the File menu, select the disk, choose "CD/DVD Master" then click okay. Once it's done change the extension of the new file from .cdr to .iso.
WHen I select the disc I do not see the CD/DVD Master option. When I click on new image it returns "invalid argument" error......Dang it. So close........
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

maybe pictures will help…
http://imacify.com/2013/06/how-to-creat ... -mac-os-x/

if you only need to use the .iso on your Mac, you can ignore the terminal commands and just change the extension.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.