Any news on when bridged networking will make it to the Mac?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
teuteuguy

Post by teuteuguy »

Could you be more precise ?

I dont understand.

I'm running Virtualbox 2.1.0, on a Mac, with a Windows XP guest.

I tried every network setting.

Bridging doesnt work.

I must be missing something.

When putting: NAT, the guest gets a 10.xxxxx IP.
The others dont work.
Whether I configure the guest for static or dynamic IPs.

any info ?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

You must give the infos. For other it works, see Posts before.

Instead of "doesnt work" tell all Details like Versions, exact Guest Setup, the exact network topology, logs, ...

Without such infos its like looking in a crystal bowl or calling astro tv.
teuteuguy

Post by teuteuguy »

Allright, more info.

So. I'm assuming, what I call Bridging, is that effectively, my Host is connected to a network, and is setup on a Static IP on that network 192.168.1.X for a gateway/router on 192.168.1.1.
The router is setup to do dhcp on other clients.

Now. Bridging (from previous tests on VMWare), should allow my guest os, on the host, to "share" the network card, and thus connect directly to the router.
If the guest is setup on DHCP then the guest will get a 192.168.1.Y from the server.

This will allow my Host and Guest to be appart of the same network, and thus access each other via different protocoles, ports etc ...

So.

now.

I'm running a Mac (latest everything).
I installed VirtualBox on the Mac, and installed Windows XP in a virtual machine.
Host = Mac.
Guest = Windows XP.

Now, I tried these different network settings.
Nat:
- DHCP for the guest, the guest got a 10.xxxxx IP. Could connect to the internet and all, but effectively, host could not access the guest via network, because of being on different networks effectively. I do not want to go through the port forwarding thingy.
- Static for the guest, 192.168.1.203 for example. Guest could not connect to anything, or host could not access guest ... normal ... not on same network.

Host interface:
- DHCP: did not get an IP. (169.xx...)
- Static: 192.168.1.203 and gateway on 192.168.1.1 => nothing

Internal network:
- DHCP: did not get an IP (169.xx...)
- Static: 192.198.1.203 and gateway on 192.168.1.1 => nothing
teuteuguy

Post by teuteuguy »

up ?
teuteuguy

Post by teuteuguy »

Up up?
teuteuguy

Post by teuteuguy »

up up up ?
nabamer.

Post by nabamer. »

Bridging does work for me here on my new MacBook Pro with current VirtualBox 2.1 and Windows XP as Guest via Airport.

You must select the network interface of the host, that the guest interface will be bridged with (in , maybe your are bridging with AirPort, but wan't to use the wired interface...

Either it is really a VirtualBox issue, or your a having a firewall that blocks DHCP packets coming through. Maybe it is your router.

You should test it with another router and should really make sure, that DHCP packets are reaching your VM.