Moving to new hard drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
FF43

Moving to new hard drive

Post by FF43 »

I apologize if this has been covered previously, but I cannot find the answer in search and am quite confused by now.

I am changing to a brand new hard drive on my host MacbookPro (currently running osx 10.7.5, new hd will run osx10). I have virtualbox 4.3.30 installed on my macbook, and a windows 7 virtual machine in it.

How do I move all of this to my NEW hard drive? Will it (virtual box and the windows 7 vm) work if I clone the entire existing hard drive to the new one?

Thank you for the help
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Moving to new hard drive

Post by loukingjr »

OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
FF43

Post by FF43 »

Thank you, I simply cloned the entire old drive to the new and everything worked just fine.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

welcome. I posted the link in case you didn't want to clone the entire drive. I should have mentioned that. :)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
denno201

Post by denno201 »

Hi all,
I am looking to move my windows 10 and all it's MS Office software from an old iMac to a new iMac.
I understand I can just copy the 'VM folder' to my new mac and it should all work, I just have two questions;
1) If my new mac is running a newer version of Virtualbox, will this still works? My old mac is running 4. something.
2) Will all the windows 10 and MS Office licences still be all good, or will I be asked for new licences? I am not too sure how the hardware looks to MS within a VM...

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!