Access to \\vboxsrv eventually gets very slow / inaccessible

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
proksch

Access to \\vboxsrv eventually gets very slow / inaccessible

Post by proksch »

Hey all,

I'm running a Windows 10 guest in my X VirtualBox 2.0.4 installation (USB2/3 ExtensionPack installed). My OS X 10.10 host system is up to date and pretty much a standard installation. I shared a folder (located on an external USB3 hard disk, if that matters) with the VM and I run an analysis, which does many file operations over this share. The VM is regularly stopped ("save state") and resumed later...

Directly after a reboot, the transfer rates are very fast when accessing the share, but after a day or sometimes after resuming a saved state (it is not really deterministic when this happens), the share gets really slow up to the point where even a simple file listing of the share literally takes forever (does not finish after minutes). A reboot of the VM solves the problem and everything works again as expected. Unfortunately this also means that I have to restart my analysis from the beginning. :(

I found a entry in the VirtualBox manual which stated that adding special entries tp /windows/system32/drivers/etc/lmhosts should speed things up, but that did not make a difference for me.

Any ideas what causes this issue? Pointers to possible solutions are highly appreciated. Thanks! :)
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: Access to \\vboxsrv eventually gets very slow / inaccess

Post by noteirak »

Please read Minimum information needed for assistance and provide as a zipped attachment the VM log file and the guest settings.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
jlamb0

Re: Access to \\vboxsrv eventually gets very slow / inaccessible

Post by jlamb0 »

I am also having a problem accessing data on \\vboxsrv\. When I first boot up the virtual machine, it is plenty fast, but after only about 10 minutes, images that took only seconds to open suddenly take 2-3 minutes to open. I'm utterly baffled. This has been happening for the past few weeks, maybe a month. I've started a new virtual machine from scratch (new VM with reset settings, brand new virtual hard disk file, fresh install of Windows and MATLAB), but the problem came back within a few days. I've even tried rolling back to a previous version of VirtualBox (ver4.3.38), but it didn't help.

I've also been able to replicate the problem on another computer, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I copied over the original .vdi file to the Windows computer I use at work. I then made up a new virtual machine using that virtual hard disk, copying the settings from my laptop. After a few minutes, opening images slowed to a crawl.

I can't keep rebooting every few minutes! Please, can someone help me troubleshoot this?

I'm currently running ver4.3.38 with Guest Additions installed. I also experienced this issue on ver5.1.
Host:
MacBook Air (11-inch, early 2015)
2.2 GHz Core i7
8 GB RAM
OS X 10.11.6

Guest:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
1 CPU
4096 MB RAM
Guest Additions are installed
Attachments
VBox.log
(92.87 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

A couple of things:

1) You are assigning 4096+128+(SomeOverhead) MB of memory to your guest out of the 4630 MB available at the start of the VM. If you open too many files on the host (via the shared folders) the host file-cache will put your host under stress with all sorts of slow downs as your host is paging memory in and out.

2) Did you try the solution mentioned by the OP? Chapter 12.3.9 Long delays when accessing shared folders?

3) Did you actually observe the problem in the VBox.log that you posted? Because I see nothing out of the ordinary in the 13 minutes that the VM run.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Branch 4.3 is not updated anymore and support ended more than 8 months ago. Please try with the latest version (5.1.4 at the time of writting).
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
jlamb0

Post by jlamb0 »

socratis wrote:A couple of things:

1) You are assigning 4096+128+(SomeOverhead) MB of memory to your guest out of the 4630 MB available at the start of the VM. If you open too many files on the host (via the shared folders) the host file-cache will put your host under stress with all sorts of slow downs as your host is paging memory in and out.

2) Did you try the solution mentioned by the OP? Chapter 12.3.9 Long delays when accessing shared folders?

3) Did you actually observe the problem in the VBox.log that you posted? Because I see nothing out of the ordinary in the 13 minutes that the VM run.
Hi, thanks for replying. I will answer your questions and suggestions in turn. To test whether any change I have made has fixed the issue I came up with a standardized test. I have a program that I use that opens up two images side-by-side for quick comparison. I opened a series of images using this program, then ~10 minutes later I opened the same series of images again. Using a stop-watch, I timed how long it took to finish loading a pair of images from the moment I hit "Load" until the images were visible. All load times referenced below are the average of loading the same 6 pairs of images.

1) I first wanted to check your comment about memory handling, because that made the most sense: If my host system is running out of RAM, that could certainly explain my slow-downs. So I changed the amount of RAM allocated to the guest to 2 GB, and I confirmed that my host was not swapping to disk or compressing memory used by VirtualBox while running my tests. After a fresh reboot of both the host and the guest, it took on average 11 seconds (s) to load a pair of images. ~10 minutes later, it took 28 s, an increase of ~2.5x. So I'm still having the issue, even after making sure I have plenty of memory for both my host and guest.

I next wanted to rule out the possibility that my external USB 3.0 hard disk that contains the image files was the root of the trouble. So instead of accessing the files twice, I accessed the files only once for each fresh reboot, but I altered how long I waited to begin the task. If I started loading the images immediately after Windows got to the desktop, it took on average 10 s to load a pair of images. If I let the guest system sit for ~10 minutes after a fresh reboot of Windows, then it took on average 30 s to load a pair of images. From this I concluded that the problem isn't dependent on the number of times I access a file, but is dependent on how long my Windows guest has been running.

To confirm that my external disk was fine, I moved to my work PC, where using the same program to load pairs of images from the same USB hard disk took 11 s to load a pair of images from a fresh reboot and ~8 s on average to load a pair of images 10 minutes later.

2) I then moved back to my laptop to test your second suggestion. Editing the lmhosts.sam file as Chapter 12.3.9 suggests had no effect: From a fresh reboot, loading a pair of images took 11 s, and then took 28 s 10 minutes later.

I then wanted to address the issue that I'm using an old, unsupported version of VirtualBox. All of the previous tests were performed on Vbox 4.3. I updated to 5.1.4, then installed the updated Guest Additions in the Guest. After a fresh reboot, loading a pair of images took 12 s, and then took 127 s ~10 minutes later. So the problem is not solved by upgrading to v5.1.4, but may actually be worse.

3) I am not well versed in reading these log files, but I can tell you that I experienced the slow-downs within 11-15 min of starting the virtual machine. I'll attach the logfile from one of my recent tests. (The most recent from the 5.1.4 test is too big to attach at 144 MB.)

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me fix this. My VM has worked for me for months, and this problem is incredibly frustrating!
Attachments
WorkBox2-2016-09-03-10-48-17.log
(102.32 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

jlamb0 wrote: (The most recent from the 5.1.4 test is too big to attach at 144 MB.)
Question: The size of the Compressed or Zipped file is 144MB?
jlamb0

Post by jlamb0 »

ChipMcK wrote:
jlamb0 wrote: (The most recent from the 5.1.4 test is too big to attach at 144 MB.)
Question: The size of the Compressed or Zipped file is 144MB?
Actually, no, here is a compressed version of my most recent logfile.
Attachments
WorkBox2-2016-09-03-12-25-59.log.zip
(26.45 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
jlamb0

Post by jlamb0 »

So, if anyone else is noticing this problem: Try using 32-bit Windows 7 instead of 64-bit Windows 7. This seems to have fixed the issue for me. I'll keep an eye out going forward in case the problem recurs, but for now, I think I've found a solution I can live with.

Thank you all.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You might also want to take a look at ticket #15662: Shared Folders freeze under pressure. It's definitely 64-bit guests that are affected but it seems that it has been fixed in the latest testbuilds (5.1.x revision 110849+).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.