Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device - VirtB5

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
fingertrouble

Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device - VirtB5

Post by fingertrouble »

I'm having a problem now I've upgraded to VirtualBox 5 on 10.10.5 - I was using 4.3 successfully, now some FAT32 USB sticks cause this error - especially if used with a hub, but one always does - a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32Gb which is seen by my old Mac and this new Mac fine, all Virtual Machines from XP to Debian 8, Xubuntu 15.04 and Ubuntu Mate 15.04 all have this error:

Code: Select all

Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device. (Error: VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS).

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
ConsoleWrap
Interface: 
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Tried reformatting it several times, and replicated this problem with other Kingston sticks if there is a hub - these are USB3 hubs, not that old and work fine in various machines. But even directly for this Sandisk stick....really annoying as I need to manipulate Raspi images and when (and I mean when, not if!) they get corrupted want to be able to see the stick.

Hard to check the stick on OSX since most of the decent tools are LInux or Windows for that, but using a version of H2test - F3 I've checked the Sandisk with a complete write/read and no errors...so really puzzled. As I said, same virtual machines on 4.3 didn't kick out these errors and worked with my hubs fine.

Ironic I was doing that when I realised that none of the machines could see it anymore...but seems fine in OSX on both machines?
Last edited by fingertrouble on 27. Aug 2015, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
fingertrouble

Re: Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device - Vir

Post by fingertrouble »

Thinking of downgrading, since it seems Virtualbox 5 is flawed...
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If you really want this to work, you should post a ticket. bugtracker.
It would also help if you can post the ticket number here so other can see the progress, add information, or see the final results.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, tested a LaCie 32 GB flash drive on a 2015 MacBook. Running VB 5.0.3 r102322. I had to unmount the drive in the Mac Finder before the guest could capture it. Guest was Ubuntu 14.04.3.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
fingertrouble

Post by fingertrouble »

Yes I unmounted in OSX first - still got that error when trying to add to the VM. Hard to say what the problem is.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

You could try the test build. along with the test extension pack.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
chrispatrik

Post by chrispatrik »

I had the same problem and all I had to do was to switch from USB 2 controller to a USB 3 controller in the VM settings and the device mounted fine.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Yes, this problem is caused by an attempt to pass a USB3 device through to a VM that has no USB3 support. The only new thing about VirtualBox 5 is that it actually can handle such devices and 4.3 never could.

The solution is to either configure a VM with USB 3.0 support (how hard that is depends on the guest OS) or force the device to run using the USB 2.0 protocol, such as plugging it into a USB 2.0 hub or using a USB 2.0 extension cable.
Remarkable

Post by Remarkable »

Setting the USB emulation to be USB 3 worked for me.

I may have eventually twigged that I was plugging in a USB3 stick into the Mac USB3 port, but finding it here was quicker - thank you.

Mark.
oscaroxy

Post by oscaroxy »

yes, in fact with host MacOS yosemite guest Ubuntu 16 don't work when I set usb3, the Ubuntu don't run... only with USB 2.0 extension cable and setting disable usb controller or setting usb 2 controller then ubuntu work fine and ubuntu see the USB storage.
thanks
michaln wrote:Yes, this problem is caused by an attempt to pass a USB3 device through to a VM that has no USB3 support. The only new thing about VirtualBox 5 is that it actually can handle such devices and 4.3 never could.

The solution is to either configure a VM with USB 3.0 support (how hard that is depends on the guest OS) or force the device to run using the USB 2.0 protocol, such as plugging it into a USB 2.0 hub or using a USB 2.0 extension cable.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

oscaroxy wrote:yes, in fact with host MacOS yosemite guest Ubuntu 16 don't work when I set usb3, the Ubuntu don't run...
What's "Ubuntu 16"? What's "don't work"? What's "set usb3"? If you are trying to report a problem, please try to be as precise as possible. Or if you're just venting, don't expect any help.
dragynman

Re: Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device - VirtB5

Post by dragynman »

I had the same error. and I had to do a number of things. Shut virtual machine and add a usb3 filter. When i booted back into windows 7 it still gave me message device driver not installed . so I went to intel and installed this usb3 roothub driver- Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver. Now all my USB devices work.
Bagoong

Post by Bagoong »

Remarkable wrote:Setting the USB emulation to be USB 3 worked for me.

I may have eventually twigged that I was plugging in a USB3 stick into the Mac USB3 port, but finding it here was quicker - thank you.

Mark.
Thanks @remarkable. This did the trick for me. Host: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).

Ta
ScottBeebe09

Post by ScottBeebe09 »

VirtualBox Graphical User Interface
Version 5.2.8 r121009 (Qt5.6.3)
Copyright © 2018 Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

My main computer is MAC OS HIGH SIERRA, I cant get my usb drives to load on Virtualbox on windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

I have tried the following and it is still not working.
Step 01.) Shutdown the guest
Step 02.) Plug in the device, let the host grab it
Step 03.) In the host, go to virtual box, and edit the configuration for the guest. In the "Ports" tab, go to USB and add a filter to include the plugged in device
Step 04.) Unplug the device
Step 05.) Start the guest OS
Step 06.) When the guest os is running, plug in the device.
Virtual box will grab the usb device and make it available for the guest. The guest will then go on and try to identify and configure the device.

it gives me the error message.

Details
Failed to create proxy device. (ERROR: VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS)
RESULT CODE: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X8004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface:IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

if someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it...
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

From the USB basics and troubleshooting, #5: Common problems
  • VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS
    • You are trying to use a USB3 device with a guest that does not support USB3. See the "Guest support" section.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.