Bonded NIC on the OS X host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Marckr

Bonded NIC on the OS X host

Post by Marckr »

Hello,

I have an OS X (10.10.4 running Server.app) host that is connected to the network on a aggregated link. On it I am trying to run an Ubuntu guest (14.04), but am struggling to get a network interface running. I am running a Bridged connection, and need one as this guest will run services needed on the network. When choosing bond0 from the host interfaces the guest interface does get an IP address from the DHCP server, but can only ping the host and nothing else on the network.

I have also tried to select eth0 instead of bond0 for the bridged connection, this gives some mixed results: I can ping some other local IP's but nothing outside the network.

Am I doing anything wrong in my setup? I understand that the bonded interface can be a bit complex for Virtualbox..

Thanks
Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 15.39.25.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 15.39.25.png (95.65 KiB) Viewed 886 times
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: Bonded NIC on the OS X host

Post by noteirak »

Bound interfaces are already bridge, so adding another layer of briding on top of a bridge interface is a common source of issues.
I know the success or failure depends entierly on the whole stack (hardware + firmware + software) but I have no knowedge on OSX for it, so I can't help you further here.
In any case, I would first fix any issue you might have with directly bridging on eth0 since they'll also impact the bound interface. Once everything is working on eth0, then try the bound0.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!