VDI Data loss

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
sbob

VDI Data loss

Post by sbob »

Hi,

Thanks to VirtualBox I lost all results of several weeks of my work. :evil: The saddest thing is that I didn't crash anything, it was a normal shutdown process with closing all applications and saving all the changed files on the CentOS guest. I have converted the VDI file to RAW and checked it with a data recovery software, all recent data is lost. I appreciate if anyone could have a look at my log file and say what the hell has happened. This is a first time VB plays such a bad trick on me.

Thanks.
Attachments
VBox.log.1.zip
(81.38 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: VDI Data loss

Post by loukingjr »

First of all, VirtualBox had nothing to do with your problem. It's surprising your guest ran at all frankly. The guest additions version doesn't match the version of VirtualBox you are running. You have both cores of a 2 core CPU assigned to the guest. You also have nearly all your available memory assigned to the guest. There are other issues. Still, the log indicates the guest shutdown normally. Were you using snapshots?

Of course VirtualBox had nothing to do with you not backing up the guest.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Guest was running for approx 30 days but all of the host suspends finally took its toll AFAICT. But as Lou said the guest was shut down so if the data is missing I have to suspect that the guest was immutable. Meaning it would not store anything on reboot. Hard to say now but you might see if you can attach the original VDI to a new guest as a second drive and see if you can retrieve the data.

Note: the original VDI, not the one you converted.
sbob

Post by sbob »

Thank you for your replies, guys.
Lou, yes, I got your point. The host was a reserve laptop and the configuration is optimized for the primary one. I run this guest on several computers and there have been no issues until this time.
Perry, thanks, I'll try to attach this VDI as a secondary HDD. It was a pretty long session, yes, but everything seemed to be ok.