Serial Virtual COM Port read problem.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ilya90

Serial Virtual COM Port read problem.

Post by ilya90 »

Hi all,

I am running VirtualBox on Macbook Pro host. I have created Windows 7 64 bit guest machine.

I have connected a composite USB device from Atmel which is debugger/programmer + Virtual COM Port at the same time.

I have managed to add the USB device changing the controller to USB 2.0 installing the extention pack + added a filter to this USB.

I can see all devices in device manager, I can program my microcontroller via Atmel Studio etc.
The problem is that when I try to read a serial port where the microcontroller continiously sends something, I can see that the Guest is connected to it (Serial LED is turned on), but no data comes in.

If I unmount the USB from guest and read it from Mac using sudo screen /dev/tty.usb***** I receive all information as it should be.

I tried the same on Windows host, it worked. And I installed virtual Linux on Windows host and ran sudo screen /dev/*** command, it also worked.

Then I tried to do the same on Mac with Ubuntu guest -> The same behavior as Mac + windows guest. LED is constantly on -> trying to read, but no data. LED doesn't blink everytime it should print something which is happenning when everything works.
Looks like Mac blocks the data flow somehow.

If anybody has ideas or resolution for the problem, please, let me know ;)

King regards,
ilya90

Re: Serial Virtual COM Port read problem.

Post by ilya90 »

The solution from this post has helped me to solve my problem:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69153

Regards,