Install Virtual Box on Mac and point storage to External Dri

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
RogerV

Install Virtual Box on Mac and point storage to External Dri

Post by RogerV »

Hi,

I know this question is being answered many times here but I was not able to find the exact steps on how to do it .

Can you please tell me the steps to point my VM to an external drive. I have very less space on my Mac Air and dont want to consume internal hardrive space. So basically what I want is if I install any program on VM that should not be on Internal drive but on external drive. Is this possible? My VM will still be booted from host Mac. Can you please share steps if this is possible.

Also if this is possible can I install windows using the same on my VM pointed to external drive ? When I was installing VirtualBox and tried to change location of installation it just let me select Mac internal drive and my external drive was disabled. Also is there specific format I need to format my external drive to have it work with MAC ( should I format with HFS, FAT32 or NTFS)
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Install Virtual Box on Mac and point storage to External

Post by loukingjr »

First, you shouldn't cross-post.
Second, start VirtualBox and in the preferences under general, change the "Default Machine Folder" to a location on your external drive. Then all new guests will be saved there.
Third, if you already created any guest(s), you will have to move them manually to the new location by following the link mpack posted for you in your other post.
Fourth, how you format a external drive depends on your use. If it's only going to be in used on Mac hosts then HFS+ is what you should use.
Last, you should only ask one question per topic and how to format a drive or how to use your Mac is not a VirtualBox question.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.