Windows 10 Display Compatibility Problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
EricG420

Windows 10 Display Compatibility Problem

Post by EricG420 »

I hosting Windows 8.1 on OS X 10.10.4

When I attempt to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I get a message saying: "Compatibility issue: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8. The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support." Is there something I can do right now to fix this, or do I have to wait on Oracle to remedy this issue?
Rootman

Re: Windows 10 Display Compatibility Problem

Post by Rootman »

Grab the media creation tool from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 and DL the ISO or USB files. Run SETUP.EXE and do the upgrade manually. After the VM is up close it down, then make sure 2d and 3d acceleration is enabled. Fire it back up and then reinstall the VBox Additions. It should come up and work then.
Last edited by Rootman on 29. Jul 2015, 22:48, edited 3 times in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Rootman wrote: The display is still an issue, at present it won't automatically resize.
Not sure what you mean. Auto resize works for me.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
JRCS

Post by JRCS »

I am seeing the same issue as EricG420 and get the same message.

I running Windows 8.1 under VirtualBox 4.3.30 r101610 on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.10.4

I have previously successfully run the Windows 10 pre-release version on this system, but the upgrade to Windows 8.1 fails to start with report about incompatible Graphics driver (exactly the same message as EricG reported).

I suspect the VirtualBox Graphics support needs an update, unless anyone has any other ideas?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

try uninstalling the guest additions before you try and update. seems to have helped a couple others.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
JRCS

Post by JRCS »

Good idea, loukingjr, but it didn't work for me :-(

Anyone else have any suggestions?
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

Well, I don't have any specific suggestions, but can assure you that the upgrade process does work, although very slowly. Didn't meet any compatibility warnings during the upgrade despite the 'Get Windows' app reporting that the Graphics Adapter was incompatible and therefore blocking any automated upgrade.

So far I have upgraded two Win 8.1 Pro VMs to Win 10 Pro on Mac OS 10.10.4 and VirtualBox5, with Guest Additions installed and both are activated:

- The first VM was upgraded by kick starting the process using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and selecting the Upgrade Now option.
- The second was upgraded with a Windows 10 ISO created using the same Tool.

The only thing I had to do to complete the upgrade was to set up a connection to a clean External USB drive from the Windows VMs to create enough free space for the upgrade - Shared Drives don't work (they aren't recognised by the Upgrade process) and the Upgrade does need around 10Gb of free space to work with.

You do need significant patience, a good book and a lot of coffee: 2-3 hours per upgrade.
swsoft

Post by swsoft »

I performed the upgrade of a Windows 7 system manually through use of an ISO on a MacBook Pro with Retina display on VirtualBox 5.0. Post install, I am having problems getting full resolution on the MacBook display. If I turn on 3D Acceleration + 2D Video Acceleration with unscaled HiDPI Output, I have some weird behavior on the screen where its constantly changing video resolutions and its unusable. With 3D/2D Acceleration off, it does display properly, but has a max screen resolution of 1600 x 1200. When I enable just 2D Acceleration, then it works for awhile, but ended up failing eventually. I am using the Guest Additions 5.0 video driver.
JRCS

Post by JRCS »

rootman's suggestion of using the media creation tool did the trick for me in the end. So use his link.

Despite the original message from the upgrade offer about incompatible Graphics Drivers, the upgrade via the media creation tool worked cleanly, and all I needed to do was re-insatll the guest additions.

Thanks to footman for the advice, and others for helpful comments too.
Cyborgx37

Post by Cyborgx37 »

I just successfully completed the install, and it wasn't even as complicated as needing to use a USB drive. I just used the "upgrade this computer" option in the Media Creation tool (see Rootman's link) and had no issues. The upgrade was downloaded in the background and then ran on my machine when it was ready. Didn't have to mount an ISO or anything. I left for lunch after I started it and it was done when I got back an hour later - no user interaction required. Super easy.

I followed the advice to uninstall Guest Additions before the upgrade. When I went to re-download it after the upgrade (virtualbox dot org /wiki /Downloads), Oracle said that version 5.0.1 is not currently compatible with Windows 10. So, I tried one of the test builds (revision 101936). It took a few minutes, but Windows 10 correctly recognized and displayed on my 2560x1440 monitor. (It displayed a bit narrower at first, but eventually resized to fill the whole screen.)

Of note, I installed my Windows 8.1 from a DVD image onto a blank VirtualBox machine, for which I had a full and legal license. Not sure if a Modern.IE image would have issues or not, etc.