USB support on OS X El Capitan

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
bpint

USB support on OS X El Capitan

Post by bpint »

I was exciting when VirtualBox 5.0.1 101778 recognized USB devices on OS X El Capitan beta 5.
Just a moment later, I was disappointed again that the USB wrap does not work at all.

Failed to attach the USB device Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE Dual SIM (RM-1113) [0100] to the virtual machine Windows 10.
USB device 'Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE Dual SIM (RM-1113)' with UUID {aefeabaf-0ef6-45b7-b7ea-eea30dc77a43} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.
Result Code: NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Callee: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Did I do something wrong? Or USB is still not supported on El Capitan?

Thanks a lot!
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: USB support on OS X El Capitan

Post by michaln »

bpint wrote:Did I do something wrong? Or USB is still not supported on El Capitan?
Please ask Apple why previously working applications no longer work in El Capitan betas. From what I understand, existing VMware and Parallels versions have the same problem.
bpint

Post by bpint »

I count on VirtualBox because,

a) In VirtualBox 5.0.0, even USB devices cannot be enumerated on El Capitan. However, VB 5.0.1 test build made a progress that they can be found now.
b) USB function is the weakest feature of VB, comparing to those competitors. On Windows / OS X 10.10, I often have to restart my guest or even the host to make a USB device work. and
c) Parallels Desktop just released version 11. I haven't tried it yet. If I find it supports El Capitan, I will post related evidence here.

I think Apple provides those previews or betas just for the developers. It does not make sense to wait Apple release their final version, or refuse to support it.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

bpint wrote: I think Apple provides those previews or betas just for the developers. It does not make sense to wait Apple release their final version, or refuse to support it.
What doesn't make sense are users who despite multiple warnings about NOT installing alphas/betas/technical previews etc. on production machines do it anyway and then complain that things are broken.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
bpint

Post by bpint »

I am a developer myself. I installed the beta version not for fun, but for work.

I liked VirtualBox. I am not complaining. Instead, I tried to look for a roadmap of VirtualBox here.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

bpint wrote: I liked VirtualBox. I am not complaining. Instead, I tried to look for a roadmap of VirtualBox here.
You would never know you weren't complaining. Plus if you have used VirtualBox for any length of time you should know they do not supply "roadmaps". Nor does Apple for that matter.
bpint

Post by bpint »

Here are the complains you mentioned, only about USB issues, within the time frame of 6 years. VirtualBox needs a roadmap.

search.php?keywords=HostUSBdevice
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

When you read through them all and count how many were user errors let me know what the results are. :roll:

Maybe you should ask for a refund.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ahem.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I know. :)
bpint

Post by bpint »

Please think and name the situation, what user error could stop an USB device to connect and cause an NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG.
Also do not forget to find wether the users are trying to find work arounds or correct their behavior.

I know VirtualBox is an open source software. Please understand the users' role in an open source project.
If you guys consider that you are giving it to us in charity, I see the fate of VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Apparantly "ahem" doesn't always translate: please declare a truce with this peripheral debate, and stick to the question asked.

I intend to delete any future posts that go offtrack.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

VirtualBox 5.0.0 does not support OS X El Capitan. Notice that it's not listed in the list of supported operating systems in the manual. El Capitan will be supported in some 5.0.x update and then it will be reflected in the documentation. Until then, what works and doesn't work is to a large extent a reflection of what Apple did or didn't change in the OS.

However, if you have some solid business reasons explaining why supporting non-paying users running unreleased host software should be a priority for Oracle, we'd love to hear it.
bpint

Post by bpint »

Please go back to the main thread. A user, who used 5.0 beta for months and also contributed a little, just asked one question, not required for anything, especially from Oracle. Go ahead on your way. I will go my way.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Update on the problem: Apple changed something in IOKit, making the existing USB device capturing code (that happily works on all existing OS X versions) fail for reasons that are not at all clear. We don't know what they changed and won't know until Apple releases the relevant source code, which typically happens when the final OS is released. Given that there is no customer demand for supporting unreleased software, we do not consider it prudent to spend more time on the problem until the information we need is available.

Short version: If you need it working now, go yell at Apple. Otherwise wait.