Virual Box 5.0 - USB 3.0 Issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
bedun7

Virual Box 5.0 - USB 3.0 Issue

Post by bedun7 »

Just upgraded to Virtualbox 5.0 and installed the 5.0 extensions on the host and 5.0 guest additions on the guest (Windows 7 Professional). The main reason I upgraded was for the USB 3.0 support. Unfortunately, I have been unable to access three different USB drives on the guest (a thumb drive, WD Passport, and Seagate backup drive). In Virtualbox settings I've selected the USB 3.0 support. When I connect a USB 3.0 device it shows up with a check mark in the Devices, USB menu on the guest. So far so good.
However, strangely the device doesn't automatically show options to open the device, etc. (as it does with USB 2.0 drives), and when I check in My Computer the USB 3.0 device is not shown. Also, there isn't the 2-note Windows sound you usually hear when a USB device is mounting or dismounting. (Incidentally, I do have filters for each of the 3 USB 3.0 devices in Virtualbox USB settings.) If I uncheck the USB 3.0 drive on the guest (i.e., in the Devices, USB menu) all three drives mount on the MacBook host and I'm able to access the files on the host. However, the whole point is to be able to access the USB 3.0 drives on the guest. Has anyone else run into this issue and know what the problem is? Otherwise, does anyone have any ideas for a possible solution? Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virual Box 5.0 - USB 3.0 Issue

Post by mpack »

Windows 7 doesn't have native USB3 support. You would need to hunt down and install the Intel xHCI drivers.
bedun7

Re: Virual Box 5.0 - USB 3.0 Issue

Post by bedun7 »

Thanks very much, that worked, and thanks to Virtualbox for building USB 3.0 support in the 5.0 upgrade. Here's the Intel download link I used (good for both 64- and 32-bit Windows 7): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... set-Family