Can't map Guest CD/DVD to Apple Superdrive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jbsumme

Can't map Guest CD/DVD to Apple Superdrive

Post by jbsumme »

I'm a new VB user...I have an OSX Macbook Pro and I just downloaded and installed VB. There is no internal CD/DVD on the MAC so upon creating a VM the Guest CD/DVD initially shows up as "Empty". That being the case I'm attempting to map the Apple Superdrive to the Guest CD/DVD before starting the VM. I've inserted a Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit DVD into the Superdrive and I go to Settings and select the "Storage" option. I then want to map the Superdrive to the Guest CD/DVD so I highlight the "Empty" CD/DVD and upon clicking the CD icon to the right I do in fact see the Setup DVD as one of the mapping options (it's listed as "setup.exe"). However upon selecting it I receive the following error message:

Failed to open the optical disk file /Volumes/IR3_CCSA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9/setup.exe.

Could not get the storage format of the medium '/Volumes/IR3_CCSA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9/setup.exe' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: Medium
Interface: IMedium {05f2bbb6-a3a6-4fb9-9b49-6d0dda7142ac}
Callee: IVirtualBox {fafa4e17-1ee2-4905-a10e-fe7c18bf5554}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

Any ideas?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Can't map Guest CD/DVD to Apple Superdrive

Post by loukingjr »

You don't "map" the Superdrive to the virtual CD/DVD. All you can do is select the drive from the Devices > USB menu once your guest is open. You can make a bootable .iso from the DVD and attach that.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.